Community discussions

MikroTik App

ppcarvalhof
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF(v2 andv3) nssa: only one role translator?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Why only in MikroTik i can't run more of one nssa role translator? In my scenario, i want "stuck" CEs into your own nssa area (because each one receive only default-route from PE and announces that own prefix through static routes). When has two or more CEs on PE, i create an nssa area to each CE but, i can't make PE role translator for more of one nssa area. Why? If i create same scenario with cisco PE, thats works fine...

That is error
Couldn't add New OSPF Area - only one area is allowed to be NSSA translator (6)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheCiscoGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: OSPF(v2 andv3) nssa: only one role translator?

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 am

According to RFC 3101, Sectio 3.1 there is a concern by the author that multiple NSSA borders performing LSA-7 to LSA-5 translations would cause excessive numbers of type 7 translations resulting in increasing the LSDB unnecessarily. It does not say that the act of prohibiting multiple translators is a requirement, but is strongly advised against. It is likely that Mikrotik has taken it upon themselves to prevent a possible misconfiguration and restricted the number of translators in the firmware directly.
Network Solutions Engineer and Trainer
Cisco | Juniper | Mikrotik | Ubiquiti

TheCiscoGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: OSPF(v2 andv3) nssa: only one role translator?

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 am

One thing to note, if you are (judging by the diagram provided) using OSPF for dynamic routing to the CE and wish to use OSPF NSSA to effectively inject a default route to the CE, a better option would be either to create a new OSPF process which only advertises a default or even better use BGP
Network Solutions Engineer and Trainer
Cisco | Juniper | Mikrotik | Ubiquiti