Community discussions

MikroTik App

borair
just joined
Topic Author

Redundancy between two interface in the same Router

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm

hi everyone i have two WAN interface to My ISP and i want to implement redundancy between them if the service down on the primary interface its auto down that interface and enable the secondary interface
i try with Netwatch but its don't work perfectly because the destination address of both link is in the same switch so when change the service to the secondary he still can reach the IP add so he will flip to the primary
and this will cause flip in both interface
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheCiscoGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Redundancy between two interface in the same Router

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:03 am

There are a few ways to do this, I will try to explain a few from easiest to most difficult:

1. Floating Static
Create a default route to ISP1 with a default distance (1)
Create a default to ISP2 with an increased disance (>= 2)

This method will ensure the lowest distance route will be injected first, and if unavailable, the next will be used. You can couple this with gateway reachability conditions to get the net effect you are looking for. This only checks if the gateway is reachable, and may not be a fast failover unless the interface's operational state goes down

2. The next is slightly more involved and is described here : https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Advanced ... _Scripting

3. Unfortunately for netwatch, you can not set the source IP address, however, there is a method in scripting that would allow you to monitor a given network via a ping test with a specified source to ensure you are egressing the expected interface. This would be the most involved, and I would try the other solutions first
Network Solutions Engineer and Trainer
Cisco | Juniper | Mikrotik | Ubiquiti