MikroTik App

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

question about bgp full table from 2 different provider

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Hello,
i have 2 different carrier on my router and i have set weight 350 for my first carrier and force it for my outbound traffic and set second carrier weight to 300 and i am receving bgp full table from both providers.
my problem here is when my bgp session with carrier #1 disconnect it takes about 5-10minutes for remove carrier #1 received routes from my routing table and force my outbound to second carrier,
how can i solve this issue? is there anyway that set when bgp session with carrier #1 disconnect all routes remove immediately ?

thank you.

IPATEAM

Re: question about bgp full table from 2 different provider

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:38 pm

You can perfectly achieve your goals with a script shifting the weights between the BGP peers

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:42 pm

when i change weight/local pref then it takes about 3-5m for update the weights because i haveabout 4m routes in my route table.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 am

And that's precisely the problem with BGP being single threaded in MT.

Unfortunately, there's no way to speed up the time the convergence takes on MT currently. Your stuck at a few minutes of downtime, or alternately, use different routers.

blackmetal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 am

ah, signle thread on mikrotik generated much issues ! i hope they solve this in ros 7 as they already has this in their plan.

TheRealJLH

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:51 pm

when i change weight/local pref then it takes about 3-5m for update the weights because i haveabout 4m routes in my route table.
how in the heck do you have 4m routes, are you not filtering out anything smaller than a /24 ?

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 pm

how in the heck do you have 4m routes, are you not filtering out anything smaller than a /24 ?
Of course, don't except anything smaller than /24.

Two or three full tables, a couple of big exchanges (AMS-IX being one of the biggest in the world), it adds up - very quickly.

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:01 pm

From my experience you better of without full route on mikrotiks, or try a different solution like the colleague said. I personally like VyOS, it works very well, is open source and very smart with resources.