Community discussions

MikroTik App

eset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF Linux MikroTik

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm struggling 2 weeks with Quagga on Debian and MikroTik CHR which is already running with other regions and connected with IP-IP/IPsec tunnels and OSPF is working fine. When I wanted to connect a Linux Node with also IP-IP tunnel but without IPsec, using internal VPC provider network (Linux and MikroTik CHR are in Different regions = Different Regions means each of those hosts has it's own internal gateway). To omit restrictions and also provider required setup for OSPF (2 routers p2p tunnel , mask /30). I'm using also loopback to set DR using RouterID and have better management to propagate each IP address from loopback interface over p2p links using OSPF set with that IP address as RouterID.

MikroTik is
10.5.0.120 (IP Tunnel interface mt-pritunl-01 172.16.18.1)
loopback interface: 10.254.254.254
Quagga
10.6.0.70 (IP Tunnel interface: pritunl-mt-01 172.16.18.2)
loopback interface 10.254.254.250

config: https://gist.github.com/electropolis/c9 ... 2b44ad7f80

I also tried tried to disable broadcast and use NBMA so I've tear down the bridge interface on Linux Server (Quagga) and put pritunl-mt-01 interface into ospf on quagga. The same I've done on Mikrotik. Putted mt-pritunl-01 interface into NBMA on Mikrotik and also to reduce amount of hello packets because mikrotik needs to be DR in this scenario I've set on Quagga priority 0 on pritunl-mt-01 interface. But nothing.

So conclusion.
In first place multicast wasn't comming from quagga to mikrotik, no RECV on MikroTik from 172.16.18.2. Only Mikrotik were able to SEND packets and Quagga had RECV from mikrotik.
But hello packets from Quagga to MT end up without RECV on MikroTik.
Second approach , the NBMA .. the same. So I was confused because then it didn't used Multicast but direct connection and still situation the same as above.
I found here on forum that samone managed to connect quagga with mikrotik but was loosing routing in some time and solution for that was setup GRE tunnel. I'v tried that also. After I switched IP tunnel from internal addressing to external interfaces. Nothing. Then GRE on internal. Nothing. Now I will try external on GRE. Probably still will be the same problem. I really appreciate if someone could give advice, help me with that.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: OSPF Linux MikroTik

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am

I don't believe you'll be able to run OSPF inside AWS. They block Multicast / Broadcasts.

I also believe (not sure if it's fixed yet) that there is/was issues with OSPF over ipip. Not 100% on this, but I recall something like this.

eset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 pm

I don't believe you'll be able to run OSPF inside AWS. They block Multicast / Broadcasts.

I also believe (not sure if it's fixed yet) that there is/was issues with OSPF over ipip. Not 100% on this, but I recall something like this.
It's not AWS though but yeah.. this provider is blocking multicast. Strange NBMA also doesn't work.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 pm

NBMA should work if multicast is blocked. It is possible that provider is blocking not multicast, but OSPF.

eset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 am

They have some sort of filtering. They said That I need modify TTL on both sides. Between mikrotik and Linux.

atakacs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Did you manage to sort out this issue ?

I gather you are using https://pritunl.com/ (which I am looking into) ?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:16 pm

I would be using Free Range Routing in 2021 as opposed to Quagga and see if the issue persists