Community discussions

MikroTik App

Louis2
Topic Author

How to separate management- and data-trunk traffic (routing) !?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Hello,

My CRS317 has multiple connections to the outside world. Most of the traffic should leave the router via the normal default gateway, however not so the management traffic.

The management traffic should be handled via the management vlan (MNGT-LAN). That VLAN is coming from another router via a trunk. The gateway of the MNGT-LAN (x.1) is on the other router.

On the CRS317 the MNGT-VLAN has the bridge-port and an interface for local management as members.

The intended behavior is that “queries” arriving via the MNGT-LAN are also answered via that MNGT-LAN (and not via the default gateway).

Configuration is as follows:
- The normal WAN gateway 0.0.0.0/0 towards address xyz via WAN-VLAN; “no routing mark”
- One MNGT-traffic gateway 0.0.0.0/0 via MNGT-LAN; “routing mark ^MNGTLAN^”
- Mangle rule: prerouting, interface MNGT-LAN, action “mark packet” New Packet Mark ^MNGTLAN^”
- Also added because it does not work extra Mangle rule: prerouting, Scr Address “bridge address”, action “mark packet” New Packet Mark ^MNGTLAN^”
- Mangle rule: Packet Mark ^MNGTLAN^ action “mark routing” value “MNGTLAN”

So in the FW-rules I did create a few minimal rules to see if it works:
- Input in-interface MNGT-VLAN routing Mark “MNGTLAN” accept
- Output out-interface MNGT-VLAN routing Mark “MNGTLAN” accept
- Input in-interface WAN-VLAN accept
- Output out-interface WAN-VLAN accept

And what I see from the counters is that the management traffic is incoming via the MNGT-LAN and leaving via the WAN-LAN, and that was of course not the intention.

Please explain what is wrong :( and how it should be done :)

Sincerely,

Louis

Louis2
Topic Author

Re: How to separate management- and data-trunk traffic (routing) !?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Hello,

I did find a solution, but do not regard it as elegant.

I have three mangle rules now
- Mangle rule: prerouting, interface MNGT-LAN, action “mark packet” New Packet Mark ^MNGTLAN^”
- Mangle rule: prerouting packet Mark ^MNGTLAN^ action “mark routing” value “MNGTLAN”
- Mangle rule: output Src. Address = <MNGT-LAN address range> action “mark routing” value “MNGTLAN”

What I do not like here, is that I would like to define the rules based on the VLAN and not on the addresses used by that vlan.

But it seems to work

Louis

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to separate management- and data-trunk traffic (routing) !?

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:29 pm

You could consider to use VRF.
And when it is only for connections towards the device (not forwarding through the device) you can consider using connection-mark:
In the mangle rule for input you can mark a connection with input interface = MNGTLAN with some mark, and on prerouting you can
use that mark to set a routing mark.