Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

/routing ospf virtual-link

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I have over 25 /30's VLAN's connecting across TP Link managed switches , /routing ospf network is using the /30's as backbone , /routing ospf interface has static entries with network=Point-to-Point,
However I was reading about /routing ospf virtual-link and wonder if this was better suited for my configuration?

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: /routing ospf virtual-link

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:07 pm

virtual-link is for connecting a sub-area (to the backbone) via another sub-area, witch normally isn't possible since all areas needs to be directly adjecent to the backbone-area

Gombeen666
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:21 am

With the present config I have errors like "Database Description packet has init bit set in middle of an exchange" + "new master flag=false" appearing on devices connecting by the /30 vlan's across the tp-link switches,
So I was considering using a different "area" for each network segment connecting back across the /30 vlan on the managed switches to area=backbone

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Virtual links in OSPF has two functions / purposes.

Linking a non backbone area to the backbone area via a different non backbone are, connecting a backbone area that has been partitioned / merged.

Depending on how critical your environment is, my suggestion to you make contact with a Mikrotik certified consultant