Community discussions

MikroTik App

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Help with capacity solutions

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:54 pm

Hiya Guys.

Got around 1200 customers. Mix of fibre and wireless.

Currently have a few xDSL connections, mainly as backup via ospf.

Our main head is a 1GBP fibre line. I'd like to add another as we're nearing capacity. I have enquired with 20+ carriers for a 10Gb line and they all want 60k to 80k per year plus 40k to install it!

So, what's the bets way to tie 2 or 3 1Gb fibres together? About 10% of customers have unique statics and these need to be available over both fibres, just in case one fails. Any recommendations?
Thanks

markwien
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help with capacity solutions

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:10 pm

where are you and your customers located?

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 pm

In the UK.

We have the pleasure of Openreach!

markwien
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 pm

you could consider to use several 1 Gbit links... lets say u have a central pop where your core router is located. From there u connect the 1 Gbit pipes. U could balance them using MPLS and OSPF.

br

Mark

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 pm

It depends on how your circuits are provided...

If you have point-to-point circuits back to a core router in a datacentre you control then you could use ECMP, layer 2 bonding or as another has suggested MPLS and OSPF.

If you have managed internet access (MIA) circuits from a provider it would be worth discussing with them if they can provide any bonding / load balancing at their end of the connections, however if you want resilience from different providers for the same public IPs you will need BGP and your own /24 of public IPs.

If provider bonding / load balancing or BGP are not going to be possible the cheap and cheerful way is to load-share your NAT clients across the two circuits, your public IP clients would have to make do with having NAT IP backup during failover - they still have outbound internet access but not inbound access on their public IP, less than ideal but better than nothing.

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:45 am

So, currently don't have our own IPs. Wasn't sure if it was worth buying or registering with ripe. Currently we rent IPs.

Which solution would you suggest is more reliable?

I did ask our upstream provider. Vaioni. To do a load balance solution, but they don't seem keen. Currently have a Juniper in place with a Mikrotik ccr onsite as a backup becuase the Juniper has been troublesome!

I have limited knowledge of BGP, plenty around ospf and mikrotik as whole. But I know what I need to know.... 😕

Fluid one are a waste of space and tried many others. Most haven't even come back to me!

Thanks for the advice guys.

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 am

Any guide line costs of Data centre rental costs?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:27 am

AFAIK RIPE ran out of IPv4 addresses 3-4 months ago. New members no longer get a /22 allocation, just put on the waiting list for a /24 so you may have to purchase some from elsewhere, you do get an AS number.

If you changed to a different provider you would most likely loose your existing public addresses as I don't imagine they would wish to sell them to you. I know where you are coming from regarding providers having worked for a WISP of similar size - too small for Talk Talk Business or Virgin Media to be interested in directly, resellers not overly keen as they know you will be hammering the connections.

We never made the jump to a centralised datacentre for transit - just management, authentication, accounting and monitoring. Our networks grew organically so we had gateways scattered about the place, CCRs were rock solid handling client PPPoE, NAT, basic firewalling.

markwien
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:41 am

I would try to find someone who rent or sell a /22 space and help you to get your own AS number. Also ipv6 Space.
With your as number you can buy traffic more easy.
U could also get ripe membership and move a space to your own account -(need to find someone selling you space and allow to transfer to your account)

Mikrotik ccr are fine for routers they can Handle full BGB table take minimum 2gb RAM.

If there is a peering point take the chance.

Cost for rackspace 4 he with power for two routers about 300 gbp per month ... if a datacentet additional cost for patching and monthly fee about 150 gbp per patch and month ....

I could help you if u be in Austria or around ... but in the Uk I can’t only in London

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Are you going to put all of the 1Gbps links into the same data center?

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Ideally they would all go back to the same data centre.. Diverse routing would be nice, but I can't afford to be picky!

As it stands. Openreach have stopped all install nationwide due to the Covid-19!

What's your thoughts?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

awesomefishguy
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi All.

Looking for a bit of assistance if possible.

Finally managed to get a 10GB tail for an affordable amount.

Issue i now have is...

2 seperate providers with a range of IPS.

Provider 1 86.149.xxx.xxx/28 , 46.149.xxx.xxx/27

Provider 2 - 80.95.xxx.xxx/28

I have tried to route our customers over provider 2 using a ROUTE RULE. But... this prevents myself and users accessing servers on our network.

I tried mangle SRC ADDRESS over new route mark. Again, works, but i cannot access any servers.

I want provider 2 to become the primary. but... i have a number of customers who have statics. I don't really want to change them and they need to be able to access our servers.

Whats the best and most effecient way. Is it to get another Router and OSPF is into the network and have a seperate router for provider 2?

Or is there a way i cna get the routing to lookup local / our network IPS first, before being forced to the internet?

Thanks