Community discussions

MikroTik App

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Which routerboard for BGP (to replace a Cisco router)

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have a question regarding replacing a one Cisco router (2921) with two MT devices to do only BGP. What would be your recommendation? What would be the best way to make it work as a HA infrastructure?

Regards,
Piotr

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Which routerboard for BGP (to replace a Cisco router)

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:52 pm

If we are talking about 2921 even a CCR1009 will do his job!

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:03 am

It depends of the amount of traffic that you're moving, for a standard configuration (NAT, a single simple queue, BGP, OSPF, 30 firewall rules), a single RB3011-UIAS-RM can work up to 400Mbps with peaks of 50-60% of CPU, if you want more than that you can try with the RB1100AHx4 (throughput of about 1Gig), if not then a CCR1009 as ingdaka told you, the real throughput for that router using the same standard config is about 2-3Gigs, if you're not planning to use NAT, no queues, no firewall rules, and configure the same RB only for networking (OSPF, BGP) the you can enable fast-path and you can achieve so much cool speeds, my record is reaching 6Gbps in the same CCR1009.

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks, I need to check the requirements and actual network usage. Looks like CCR will be the good solution.

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:10 pm

One thing more - what would be your idea of configuring two MT's in a HA pair? I have two Internet lines, my idea is to connect one line to one MT and then configure routing between these two to have an active-active pair. Is it a good idea?

sri2007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 pm

If you have a couple of MT's and two different providers then it will be the best solution to configure them in an HA design, and it depends on some others factors in your network to build an active/active solution, we can build that using BGP (easy way and some load balancing to advertise some prefixes in one provider and some other in another one) and the coolest one is by configuring the same idea with no need of having your own public addressing with some NAT rules and a cool routing scenario with OSPF in the middle.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 pm

If we are talking for the same as in start of this topic!
Each CCR will connect with eBGP to providers and iBGP between each-other and everything will be OK!