MikroTik App

pomah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hairpin and SSL

Mon May 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Hello

I have a for while used Hairpin NAT for my different webclients at home to be able to use the external IP to access them, I have recently upgrade one of my setups with a personal SSL ceritificate to increase the connection security, I have managed to forward port 443 to the internal server port and I can access the server using the external IP from outside my home network, but doing the same from my home network yields me a 403 error, access denied. How should the hairpin rule be setup for an ssl encrypted connection? Before I used the port of the serve, in this case 8123, but now I need to masquerade both 8123 and 443?

I can attach my rules in a little while when I get home.

Thank you for your time and support.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hairpin and SSL  [SOLVED]

Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 pm

Hairpin NAT doesn't care about SSL and anything on higher levels, it's completely transparent for that. The fact that you get 403 (assuming that you connected to the right server) means that hairpin NAT already did its job, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect at all.

pomah
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Hairpin and SSL

Mon May 04, 2020 11:38 pm

Hairpin NAT doesn't care about SSL and anything on higher levels, it's completely transparent for that. The fact that you get 403 (assuming that you connected to the right server) means that hairpin NAT already did its job, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect at all.
You were correct, the issue was with IP ban from the server, thank you