Community discussions

MikroTik App

mademy
just joined
Topic Author

BGP, unexplained behavior

Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 am

Hi all,

I've a strange problem on my CCR1036 (6.45.6).
I've many BGP session that are working fine, but some routes I receive have a unexplained behavior.
Who can explain to me this :
capture.JPG
As you can see I've one Active route on three identical routes but that one, for what I can understand, should not be active.
The active route has a longer AS PATH and a lower BGP Weight. Obviously I need the other routes to be used.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Emiliano
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: BGP, unexplained behavior

Thu May 14, 2020 11:58 pm

See https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... _Algorithm
Best path algorithm compares routes received by a single BGP instance. Routes installed by different BGP instances are compared by the general algorithm, i.e. route distances are compared and the route with lower distance is preferred.
All three routes in your screenshot have the same distance. If that is the case, https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:R ... n_RouterOS mentions:
If there is more than one route with the same distance, selection is done in random
This explains the behaviour you see.

hugues
just joined

Fri May 15, 2020 12:21 am

Huh, no. The selection is done in random if all the other attributes used by the bgp path selection are the same or does not exist !

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am

Read the first link I posted. If the routes are received from peers using different BGP instances, they will not be compared according to the BGP best path selection algorithm.

mademy
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2020 11:33 am

Hi again,

problem found. (tnx FezzFest)
using multiple instances the bgp path selection doesn't work as usually. I've to use the "distance" to select the best instance, after that the bgp selection algorithm finish the work.

THANKS all!!!

bye!