Community discussions

MikroTik App

dtown1
just joined
Topic Author

ISP default route and internal network OSPF

Wed May 20, 2020 1:21 pm

I have a network with 10 different sites and all sites are connected to the internet. Each site tunnels back to a central site and has OSPF running as the routing protocol for the internal company network.

How can I distribute a default route with OSPF so all traffic traverses the tunnels to the central site when each router has a static default route used for its ISP connection?

I can get OSPF to distribute the route no problem, but it is not active because each router has a default route for the ISP connection.

Ideally what I am trying to achieve it that each router has to connect to the internet so it can build a tunnel to the central site, but I want all internal traffic to go across the tunnels using an OSPF distributed default route. I am policy routing now, but I had prefer to not do that and let OSPF do what it is supposed to do.

Is there a way I can only apply a default route for the external interface on each router? Or what is the best method for what I am trying to do?

Thanks

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ISP default route and internal network OSPF

Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 pm

IMHO you should set "distance" for ISP interfaces in your local routing tables to number higher than expected "distance" of default router received from OSPF.
With no OSPF information the only one route will be ISP interface and when OSPF is connected the default route will be switched to the new one.

dtown1
just joined
Topic Author

Re: ISP default route and internal network OSPF

Thu May 21, 2020 2:31 am

IMHO you should set "distance" for ISP interfaces in your local routing tables to number higher than expected "distance" of default router received from OSPF.
With no OSPF information the only one route will be ISP interface and when OSPF is connected the default route will be switched to the new one.

Thanks for the reply. I have tested in a lab environment and it does work but only if you set static routes to the VPN servers and once the tunnels are up, the router's external interface pretty much loses contact with the rest of the internet.