Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MetalLB BGP ECMP

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi All,
this is going to be a far fetched question but through i would ask anyways
ive got the BGP working with MetalLB and Kubernetes with our Mikrotik router

HOWEVER its currently not load-balancing as they say it should, it only goes to one node instead of all 3

ive read up about it and apparently i need to do ECMP on my router/switch?
https://metallb.universe.tf/concepts/bgp/

the routing table on my mikrotik currently shows the single ip address going to all 3 nodes as expected
but only one of the routes is actually marked as active?
they also all have the same distance of 200?

is it possible to get mikrotik to load-balance them with BGP?
if so how?

Regards

Simon

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: MetalLB BGP ECMP

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:56 pm

MikroTik will only load balance (ECMP) with iBGP when peering via loopbacks and using an IGP (OSPF or RIP) or static routes.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... _with_iBGP

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi IPANetEngineer

i have already tried those examples and they dont work :(

the routes get inserted via metallb themselves (not manually) and they are inserted as single route to each host NOT as a single route to multiple hosts
e.g.
192.168.168.179 -> 192.168.168.156 - 200
192.168.168.179 -> 192.168.168.157 - 200
192.168.168.179 -> 192.168.168.158 - 200

where as the example shows it needs to be
192.168.168.179 -> 192.168.168.156,192.168.168.157,192.168.168.158 - 200

Regards

Simon

pubudeux
just joined

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Hey Simon,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm stuck at the same point as well with Mikrotik BGP + MetalLB.

si458
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Hey Simon,

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm stuck at the same point as well with Mikrotik BGP + MetalLB.
Hi,
sadly no i didnt,
i ended up using layer 2 with internal ip addresses on a small subnet /28
then on the mikrotik forwarding the subnet from external ips to internal ips with the small subnet using NETMAP

SillyPosition
just joined

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:48 am

I tried to setup the same thing very recently, metallb on physical machines in my home, and metallb to publish services over the home network.
My first attempt actually worked very simply, I used the configured AS in mikrotik (routing - bgp - interfaces), and I setup a peer using my configured asn for metallb and the nodes IPs (multiple peers for all the k8s cluster, all with the same AS)

They all appeared as published, and I even saw the route appears (in ip - routes). It appears with distance 20.
And my attempt to browse this IP from machines in the network was successful, however the few first attempts were very slow, took up to 5-6seconds to load nginx default page.
But then, I haven't done anything in particular, and it stopped working.
Meaning, that everything in mikrotik looks the same, I see the route generated, but Im unable to navigate to the exposed service at all

I wonder if any of you guys made some progress around it since then?
I prefer the BGP approach significantly over ARP, since I read it works much faster during failover.

naviset
just joined

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:28 am

Seems it's not possible to use Mikrotik for MetalLb load balancing in BGP mode:
viewtopic.php?t=81321
Last edited by naviset on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jr0dd
just joined

Mon May 03, 2021 5:49 pm

I've been beating my head up against the wall with this for the last couple weekends. BGP establishes connection, individual routes are created in ip/routes for each device and everything looks like it's working. BUT I can not reach anything beyond the metallb ip from my home network devices. I can not ping them and don't show up in an arp-scan. The devices behind metallb can ping devices on my home network though. In layer 2 mode all works as expected.
--------
ip address print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 #   ADDRESS            NETWORK         INTERFACE                                                                                                                                                                          
 0   10.10.0.1/20       10.10.0.0       lan-bridge                                                                                                                                                                         
 1 D public-ip/24    public-ip     ether1  

--------
/ip route print
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADS  0.0.0.0/0                          public-ip               1
 1 ADC  10.10.0.0/20       10.10.0.1       lan-bridge                0
 2 ADb  10.10.2.1/32                       10.10.2.10               20
 3 ADb  10.10.2.10/32                      10.10.2.10               20
 4 ADb  10.10.2.100/32                     10.10.2.10               20
 5 ADC  public-ip/24     public-ip    ether1                    0

--------
/routing bgp instance print 
Flags: * - default, X - disabled 
 0 *X name="default" as=60000 router-id=0.0.0.0 redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=no out-filter="" client-to-client-reflection=yes 
      ignore-as-path-len=no routing-table="" 

1    name="k3s" as=400 router-id=10.10.0.1 redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=no out-filter="" client-to-client-reflection=yes 

--------
/routing bgp peer print detail
Flags: X - disabled, E - established 
 0 E name="metallb" instance=k3s remote-address=10.10.2.10 remote-as=500 tcp-md5-key="" nexthop-choice=force-self multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m ttl=default in-filter="" out-filter="" address-families=ip 
     default-originate=always remove-private-as=no as-override=no passive=no use-bfd=no 

--------
/routing bgp network print    
Flags: X - disabled 
 #   NETWORK              SYNCHRONIZE
 0   10.10.2.0/24         yes        

--------
/routing bgp advertisements print 
PEER     PREFIX               NEXTHOP          AS-PATH            ORIGIN     LOCAL-PREF
metallb  0.0.0.0/0            10.10.0.1                            igp       

--------
metallb-bgp-config

apiVersion: v1                                                                                                                                                                                                              
kind: ConfigMap
metadata:
  namespace: metallb-system
  name: config
data:
  config: |
    peers:
    - peer-address: 10.10.0.1
      peer-asn: 400
      my-asn: 500
    address-pools:
    - name: mikrotik
      protocol: bgp
      avoid-buggy-ips: true
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24

--------
metallb-l2-config

metadata:
data:
    address-pools:
      protocol: layer2
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24     
UPDATE: All I had to do was put metallb on a different subnet to get this working. Now if Mikrotik could please support ECMP packets that would be great

YYZ
just joined

Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:44 am

I've been beating my head up against the wall with this for the last couple weekends. BGP establishes connection, individual routes are created in ip/routes for each device and everything looks like it's working. BUT I can not reach anything beyond the metallb ip from my home network devices. I can not ping them and don't show up in an arp-scan. The devices behind metallb can ping devices on my home network though. In layer 2 mode all works as expected.
--------
ip address print 

--------
/ip route print

--------
 0 *X name="default" as=60000 router-id=0.0.0.0 redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=no out-filter="" client-to-client-reflection=yes 

1    name="k3s" as=400 router-id=10.10.0.1 redistribute-connected=no redistribute-static=no redistribute-rip=no redistribute-ospf=no redistribute-other-bgp=no out-filter="" client-to-client-reflection=yes 

--------
 0 E name="metallb" instance=k3s remote-address=10.10.2.10 remote-as=500 tcp-md5-key="" nexthop-choice=force-self multihop=no route-reflect=no hold-time=3m ttl=default in-filter="" out-filter="" address-families=ip 
     default-originate=always remove-private-as=no as-override=no passive=no use-bfd=no 

--------

--------
PEER     PREFIX               NEXTHOP          AS-PATH            ORIGIN     LOCAL-PREF

--------
metallb-bgp-config

metadata:
data:
    peers:
    address-pools:
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24

--------
metallb-l2-config

metadata:
data:
    address-pools:
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24     
UPDATE: All I had to do was put metallb on a different subnet to get this working. Now if Mikrotik could please support ECMP packets that would be great
My configuration is also working, but I'm getting 5 seconds of latency when connecting to one of the pods behind metallb as another user mentioned previously. Are you experiencing the same issue?

The only way I found to eliminate this delay is by creating a masquarade nat rule in the Firewall section, but I can't understand the reason behind this. Any ideas?

eset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:21 am

--------
ip address print 

--------
/ip route print

--------

--------

--------

--------

--------
metallb-bgp-config

metadata:
data:
    peers:
    address-pools:
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24

--------
metallb-l2-config

metadata:
data:
    address-pools:
      addresses:
      - 10.10.2.0/24     
My configuration is also working, but I'm getting 5 seconds of latency when connecting to one of the pods behind metallb as another user mentioned previously. Are you experiencing the same issue?

The only way I found to eliminate this delay is by creating a masquarade nat rule in the Firewall section, but I can't understand the reason behind this. Any ideas?
So which of configmaps you are using because the second overwrites the first one