Community discussions

MikroTik App

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

BGP Can only access certain websites

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Hello! I've recently swapped my isp connection to include a full bgp routing table. I establish the peer and receive 900,000 prefixes (ipv4 +ipv6)
I advertise 2 prefixes (my Arin ipv4 and ipv6)

I used the scope to ensure all the routes were active as outlined by mikrotik.

However i can only ping all addresses from the bgp peer IP. If i specify src address as one of my global ipv4 addresses I cannot reach all of them. 8.8.8.8 for example I can ping. but other sites like mikrotik.com i cannot.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: BGP Can only access certain websites

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 am

It sounds like your prefixes either aren't being advertised or accepted/announced by your upstream.

What is the output of the following command?
routing bgp advertisements print peer=peer_name

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:12 am

After being told a quite a few times by my ISP that everything on the upstream router looked good. I finally got somebody who told me that while they were receiving my prefix announcements he couldn't see it on "looking glass" . He said that it seems like they aren't distributing the asn/prefixes but that's not his department . So I'm just waiting on the other department to get back to me now.

Thank you for replying to this! I will update this when i have more information, hopefully tomorrow.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Have you created IRR entries for your aggregate ranges? That will often cause a prefix to be dropped from advertisement to peers.

You can either do this with your RIR (aka ARIN, RIPE, etc) or an independent IRR like https://www.radb.net/

jonah1810
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:13 am

Well it seems we can reach every site now (at least every one I've tried)
the ISP's uplink router wasn't properly advertising our prefixes.

I never even noticed the option on ARIN! I have just added all the options under IRR with somewhat minimal information. (didn't include import/export. but according to the rfc i read they aren't required.

what exactly is the IRR? I assumed ARIN did this all automatically. because even before i added myself to the IRR if i looked up my ASN to Google it told me where we were located and what ip blocks we had.

the only issue I am now having is the "Wifi calling" feature on cellphones isn't working. it isn't my firewall I've confirmed. the only reasoning i have for why it's not working is that the big cell companies don't recognize us a Canadian provider because our ip block is newly assigned. I read somewhere that it only works between Canadian internet providers.

Would adding my prefix to ARIN's IRR fix a problem like this? and how long would it take to see the effect of adding myself to the IRR?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge.
-Jonah