Community discussions

MikroTik App

ssantos
just joined
Topic Author

Routing Advices

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi everybody. I'm looking forward in doing something a little bit out of my knowledge i think. I have 2 MT's, both under the same ISP and miles away from each other. I want to connect them (via PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2 or whatever) and make them work as one network (meaning that one PC from the one side can see a PC on the other). How is this possible? I've already tried connecting them via L2TP, the connection is established, they both "see" each other but although the connection belongs to the same bridge and interface list, no one pings nobody! Is it a route problem?

gnro

Re: Routing Advices

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 pm

What you need is to "bridge" the two lans together.
You can use Mikrotik own tunnel https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/EoIP
See this presentation also: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 240964.pdf

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:24 am

First you have to decide: do you really need to "bridge" or to "route" will be enough?
In first case you will have one subnet, only one of the routers will act as a DHCP server for both networks and so on.
While in the second case you will have two completely independent networks, but yet they will be connected to each other.

Hint: most of the times when you really need option one, you should know that already together with the reason why :)

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:55 pm

While you can create a bridge and tunnel as others have said, honestly ZeroTier is the easiest way to do this and has the best performance

Just install it on each computer and they'll be connected with great performance and none of the typical issues that come with L2 extensions.

https://www.zerotier.com/

P.S. I would love it if MikroTik added ZeroTier as a tunnel type :-)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Much as I will always think of you as Zero now, or is that Zorro............
I believe xvo, is closer to the mark that the OP wants network to network connectivity.
The question he posed so elegantly is
a. does one want to separate networks that can see each other readily (as if on the same LAN).
b. does one want to put them on the SAME LAN.

I would probably like a, because I wouldnt want my local subnet to be predicated and functioning ONLY if the far site is working.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Can you log into an android smart phone from your windows PC to see what is going on, on an android phone?
Similarly what about windows PCs to an IPAD?

ssantos
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:20 pm

what i want is: LAN1 can communicate with LAN2, not being on the same LAN.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:07 pm

what i want is: LAN1 can communicate with LAN2, not being on the same LAN.

Build a Site to Site VPN on the Mikrotiks, which sounds like you have already done.

Then check Windows firewalls, by default they will prevent access to device itself coming from a different subnet / prefix

ssantos
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:58 pm

either i connect them via L2TP or PPTP, i cannot ping devices between the two networks, not just windows pc, anything. can i configure an EoIP with DDNS?