Community discussions

MikroTik App

connectlife
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hardware FailOver with 2 CCR and BGP

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi guys, I currently have a peering session with a subnet / 30 to my upstream provider on a Mikrotik CCR. I need to have a failover between another Mikrotik CCR but I probably have no way to start another BGP session with my upstream. How can I manage hardware failover, if one mikrotik dies, the other intervenes? I was thinking about VRRP but I don't know how to manage the routing between the two devices as the BGP session is done only by one device and not by both. Thanks to those who will be able to help me

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hardware FailOver with 2 CCR and BGP

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:43 pm

Ideally, you'd push for another peering with your provider or get a second provider and peer with them. Have you asked your upstream if this is possible? I've seen many providers do this if asked by a customer.

In that type of design, you'd want to build it like this:

If another session is not possible, you'd want to insert a switch between the ISP handoff and both border routers with VRRP providing failover for the single /30. Then use iBGP and OSPF for interior routing.

When the secondary router does not have an active peering, it will not send routes to the route reflector and not be used as a path.

connectlife
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Hardware FailOver with 2 CCR and BGP

Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi, thanks for answering me. Two questions, I must also have GRE TUNNEL and NAT services, do you recommend me to have a third router or can I publish them in the two routers running BGP?

Are there particular configurations on the Core Switch running the ROUTE REFLECTION or is it enough to enable the function on the AS by default?

Thanks