Community discussions

MikroTik App

duckasylum
just joined
Topic Author

Trying to route multicast

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi

I have a UPnP media server on my workstation and I occasionally stream media to my DNLA capable Smart-TV. I used to have a flat network with one subnet and everything worked but as soon as I split the network I can't stream media to my Smart-TV anymore. My workstation is connected to a CRS305-1G-4S+IN which is connected to an ASUS RT-AC68U running DD-WRT. The Smart-TV is connected to the Asus router. I am 99% sure that the problem is that DLNA is multicast over 239.255.255.250 and uses SSDP. I managed to install the RouterOS multicast package and I was hoping to get everything working with IGMP Proxy - but something is still broken. I am not sure if the problem is at CRS side or Asus side.

To make things even more complicated all non-local traffic from the Smart-TV is routed to a OpenVPN tunnel between the Asus router and a VPN provider For that I have a special ip rule and alternative routing table. The br0 device in the Asus router (the physical port to which the Smart-TV connects is add to this bridge) has IGMP snooping on.

I tried playing with the IGMP-Proxy but I have no idea which interface should be marked upstream and even if IGMP proxy could help me in this scenario. Do I have to configure anything on the Asus router also?

I am attaching my home network schematic. The Smart-TV is 10.0.0.10 and my workstation is 10.1.11.10.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zerobase
just joined

Re: Trying to route multicast

Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 am

What you probably need is an mDNS reflector.

Open-WRT supports this, not sure if DD-WRT does also.

More on mDNS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS