Community discussions

MikroTik App

Chaosphere64
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

OSPF priority for dynamic Interfaces

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Is it possible to (pre-)set/edit the OSPF priority for a dynamically added interface or would one have to copy that dynamic to a "static" interface in order to do so?

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: OSPF priority for dynamic Interfaces

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:08 pm

Depends what you mean by dynamic

in OSPF - a dynamic interface can be created within OSPF based on Network addition (including physical interfaces) - is this the dynamic interface you mean? If so you will need to move the physical interfaces to 'static' and add your path cost etc.

If you are talking about dial-in or style interfaces (VPN, PPPoE etc) - then you 'may' be able to do something dynamic with on-up scripts, but in the few instances that I require OSPF over these kind of dynamic interfaces, I've simply created a server binding so I can address it statically.

Chaosphere64
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 pm

Depends what you mean by dynamic

in OSPF - a dynamic interface can be created within OSPF based on Network addition (including physical interfaces) - is this the dynamic interface you mean? If so you will need to move the physical interfaces to 'static' and add your path cost etc.
That's exactly what I meant so I assume now that I need to move the physical interfaces to a static configuration rather than letting them being covered by a network statement.

Thanks!

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 am

If there is no static entry in OSPF interface configuration, then parameters are taken from "all" entry. So you can adjust priority there to have all dynamic interfaces needed priority,

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:51 am

If there is no static entry in OSPF interface configuration, then parameters are taken from "all" entry. So you can adjust priority there to have all dynamic interfaces needed priority,
Would be good if we could make rules based on interface lists ;)