angoran
just joined
Topic Author

Internet FullView and BGP VPNv4

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm

I have two Mikrotik PEs (PE1 and PE2) and an MPLS backbone between the two PEs:

MPLS : OK
LABEL LDP : OK
I receive the FULLVIEW INTERNET in the VRF of one of the PE (PE1), but the other PE receives only a tiny part of the FULLVIEW INTERNET (about 16 000 routes), why ?

Both PEs are Mikrotik 72 cores
PE1(OS version 6.48.2)
PE2(OS version 6.48.3)

I also notice a slowness when I ask to see some configuration on the PE2, ip route print where routing-mark = "vrf_wan" count-only, routing bgp information, etc. etc.
I have the impression that Mikrotik and VRF do not mix well.

See schema:
Capture d’écran 2021-06-10 à 12.05.26.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Internet FullView and BGP VPNv4

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi.

The RouterOS v6 routing implementation is not suitable for this type of deployment, it has a number of design constraints that mean it does not scale in performance with increased CPU cores, and this is made worse by the low IPC performance on the Tilera CPU's in the CCR's. There are also issues with stale labels and NLRI updates for L3VPN's.

Best case you will have stale labels, worst case you will have the routing process crashing and causing 6-15 minute outages.

These issues will likely be resolved in RouterOS v7, but it is still in beta and the MPLS feature set is not complete yet.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi.
The RouterOS v6 routing implementation is not suitable for this type of deployment

Agree with nz_monkey 100% on this.

If you're trying to bring routes from an IX across an MPLS network, maybe consider VPLS between PEs - from the IX port to the peering router.

angoran
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi.

The RouterOS v6 routing implementation is not suitable for this type of deployment, it has a number of design constraints that mean it does not scale in performance with increased CPU cores, and this is made worse by the low IPC performance on the Tilera CPU's in the CCR's. There are also issues with stale labels and NLRI updates for L3VPN's.

Best case you will have stale labels, worst case you will have the routing process crashing and causing 6-15 minute outages.

These issues will likely be resolved in RouterOS v7, but it is still in beta and the MPLS feature set is not complete yet.
Thank you for your responsiveness and the answers given !

angoran
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Hi.
The RouterOS v6 routing implementation is not suitable for this type of deployment

Agree with nz_monkey 100% on this.

If you're trying to bring routes from an IX across an MPLS network, maybe consider VPLS between PEs - from the IX port to the peering router.
I'll try this one and keep you posted, thanks again !