Community discussions

MikroTik App

Inssomniak
Topic Author

MPLS/VPLS or EoIP?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 am

I currently have an OSPF routed network, I create tunnels using EoIP from each AP to a core router and running a pppoe server on each EoIP tunnel on the core router, this has worked fine for a long time. But EoIP not very efficient on bandwidth. It has about 250 terminated PPPoE sessions across 7 PPPoE servers on one router.

Can MPLS/VPLS solve this and be more efficient over EoIP tunnels? instead of having 7 PPPoE servers for each EoIP tunnel running can I have just one PPPoE server and use VPLS with MPLS to get efficient use of bandwidth?

-headstrong-

Re: MPLS/VPLS or EoIP?

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Yes you can

All the VPLS tunnels can be bridged and a single PPPOE A/C setup on the bridge....

Just make sure you use split horizon bridging on the VPLS bridge ports: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MPLSVPLS# ... n_bridging

Inssomniak
Topic Author

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Ya thanks I used that thread as help on setting up my network, I would have missed the horizon setting.

Thanks

magnavox

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Ya thanks I used that thread as help on setting up my network, I would have missed the horizon setting.

Thanks
Hi Inssomniak,

have you migrated to MPS/VLPS?
The perfomances are better thetn EoIP?

Tnx ;)

mattmann72
just joined

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Yes you can

All the VPLS tunnels can be bridged and a single PPPOE A/C setup on the bridge....

Just make sure you use split horizon bridging on the VPLS bridge ports: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MPLSVPLS# ... n_bridging
I would suggest BGP based VPLS. And proper use of Import and Export route targets can allow creation of a Hub and Spoke system (redundant hub too). This reduces traffic waste and can improve performance even more.

Luth

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:58 pm

I currently have an OSPF routed network, I create tunnels using EoIP from each AP to a core router and running a pppoe server on each EoIP tunnel on the core router, this has worked fine for a long time. But EoIP not very efficient on bandwidth. It has about 250 terminated PPPoE sessions across 7 PPPoE servers on one router.

Can MPLS/VPLS solve this and be more efficient over EoIP tunnels? instead of having 7 PPPoE servers for each EoIP tunnel running can I have just one PPPoE server and use VPLS with MPLS to get efficient use of bandwidth?
Yes, you can!

You can replace EoIP with VPLS (you must first setup MPLS but is simple as you already have ospf routing) and maintain 7 PPPoE servers. I don't understand why you want only one PPPoE server.

In our production environment we prefer to maintain separated PPPoE servers and we put each vpls in a single bridge interface so PPPoE is always up and not affected by possible vpls up/down.

Good luck!

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:22 am

Dear LutH, how emplement you vpls into a BGP network

R1 = my home router

R2= hop between r1 and router 3

R3= my 2 home router

Everything works on ebgp

Every sugestion is welcome