MikroTik App

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

VPLS termination - your opinion?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:05 am

Hi,

I'm currently thinking about where I should terminate VPLS tunnels (the other end will always be the PPPoE-AC).

Terminate at Access Point:
+ Easier Setup
+ Possibly less load on the devices
- less control

Terminate at CPE:
+ More control
+ Possibility to provide VPLS VPNs to customers
+ Briding Setup without WDS oder Pseudobridge
- Possibly more load
- More configuration required

So what is your opinion?
How much will the load increase if the AC has 100 VPLS tunnels instead of 10?

Best regards

Max

netrat

Re: VPLS termination - your opinion?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 am

I think you should terminate the VPLS tunnels to the AP and not the CPE. You could terminate the VPLS tunnel for certain clients maybe needing IPv6 or VPN connectivity as you mentioned, but I wouldn't do it for all the clients.

Mplsguy
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: VPLS termination - your opinion?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 am

So what is your opinion?
How much will the load increase if the AC has 100 VPLS tunnels instead of 10?
There has been some discussion on which router to make PE in this thread (though probably it does not directly apply to your case):
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&p=168464

As to number of VPLS tunnels on AP - provided that you properly configure bridge horizon on AC (to eliminate forwarding between VPLS tunnels), from forwarding point of view number of bridge ports should not increase load (meaning - number of bridge ports does not affect the amount of "work" your AC will do on forwarding every packet in normal situation), but of course it will increase load on "control plane" (establishing more VPLS tunnels).

Most likely performance wise there will be no significant differences (actually having AP only do MPLS switching should be more efficient, because you distribute load of introducing MPLS labels to multiple devices - CPEs, and instead of bridge MAC address lookup AP only has to perform MPLS label lookup).