Community discussions

MikroTik App

psalek
just joined
Topic Author

IGMP Proxy BUG!

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

IGMP proxy has a serious BUG.

When client is connected directly to the ethernet port of router, where IGMP proxy is running, it's working OK.

But when you insert switch between, even if it is in private VLAN, IGMP only receives first IGMP Join message and then it stops receiving there requests and mikrotik after while stops forwarding multicast stream. After switching channel to another an back, the stream is started again, but again it stops.

Same issue you can test is when you do a EOIP tunnel and run the IGMP proxy on the near end router and on a far end router. When you run it on near end, it is working OK. When you run it on far end and at the near end bridge the EOIP tunnel and Ethernet, it works for a while and then timeouts and stream stops.

Mikrotik Guys, I can give you access to the router, so you can debug this issue.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IGMP Proxy BUG!

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 pm

so, if you are connected directly to the router - all is working fine, but as soon as you insert even unmanageable 5-port switch between you and the router - it stops working?..

Eising
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 am

I don't think he means an unmanaged switch.

You mention private VLANs, so I figure it's a powerful switch. Could you check if you have IGMP snooping enabled and disable it? Maybe it helps.

psalek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Possibly have found the problem, when I enable IGMP snooping and IGMP Querier on the first switch connected to mikrotik, It starts working - I receive IGMP response from client.

When I disable IGMP querier on the switch, I receive only the first packet.

Weird is, when I use PIM-SM, i do receive IGMP packets no regards if IGMP is enabled or disabled on the switch.

atis
just joined

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 pm

You can use static multicast routes (mfc entries) with IGMP proxy in case there is a problem with receiving IGMP join messages on dowstream interfaces....

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 pm

When will WinBox be updated to allow IGMP-Proxy MFC editing instead of having to use the terminal?

psalek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 pm

But this means it will always forward multicast to that interface, I have total of 350MBps of multicast, so IGMP and JOIN is must have.

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am

Did I misunderstand that you were bridging your EoIP connections? Wouldn't that do the same thing?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 pm

can you check what timings you have set up? because AFAIK multicast works based on assumption that sender does not know if there are receivers and vice versa. And that it is self regulating with different time-outs. Meaning, if your client does not resend refresh packets - igmp join request will time out eventually and IGMP-Proxy will remove entry from its MFC list.

What atis suggested can work in this case, but be aware that all multicast traffic will unconditionally forwarded in that Ethernet network. (or dropped if static MFC rule added have some different settings set)

psalek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi, timings are OK, tried decreasing, increasing, but it definitely always timeouts, when directly connected to ethernet port of routerboard, it works fine.

When I have this setup

[ RB with IGMP proxy ] [ RB without IGMP proxy ]
[ eoip ] ----- [ BRIDGE eoip + lan ] ---- iptv STB

In debug, i see only first IGMP response from the STB, when i switch the channel.
After some time, it times out and stops forwarding multicast.

When I move to this setup, it start's working OK.

[ RB with IGMP proxy ] [ RB with IGMP proxy ]
[ eoip ] ----- [ eoip .. lan ] ---- iptv STB

I works OK, i always see after some time IGMP response from the STB, when the IMGP proxy asks.

The same problem happens with this setup.

[ SWITCH ]
RB with IGMP proxy -- VLAN X ----- [ tagged port .... untagged port-remove tag X] --- IPTV STB

I solved the issue with combination of switch enabling this features on switch: IGMP Status,Act as IGMP Querier,IGMP Leave Proxy Status

Any idea?

Best regards,

Petr

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm

RouterOS supports IGMPv3 and if it has interface enabled it sends multicast "broadcast" from that interface with target IGMP group of 0.0.0.0 and checks for responses, if it receives some it sees what version IGMP it got back, if it does not, it assumes default, that is IGMPv3 and sends out IGMPv3 requests. some switches does not support that, and they do not respond to those "broadcasts", end result, switch just drops the packets as it has no knowledge of what other host is sending there and multicast is not working. This is all that way because IGMP versions are not compatible with each other and hosts have to switch to mutual denominator over the network to avoid problems like that, that sometimes fails.