Community discussions

MikroTik App

keefe007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP and VRRP

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 am

I currently have one router and two upstream ISPs. All of my end users are on public IP space. There is no NAT on our network. I run BGP with both upstream providers and receive full routes.

I'd like to add a second router for redundancy. What's the best way to configure this? Does anyone have any configuration samples? I'm thinking I'm going to need a combination of redundant BGP sessions and VRRP.

Should I have one ISP connected to each of the two routers? Should I have both routers connected to both ISPs? Would a three router mesh solution be best?

Thanks,

Keefe

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BGP and VRRP

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:13 pm

we have 3 providers on 2 border routers, running bgp. one bgp session to each peer on the respective router. then ibgp between the routers themselves so they can share routes. we then just assign dual gateways to the clients so they can use either one. vrrp seemed to add too much complexity to the network and cause more downtime than it was supposed to cure.

keefe007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Can you paste your ebgp and ibgp setup?

On the ebgp side, how are you defining the primary bgp session? Are you prepending, using MED, or something else?

Thanks!

Keefe

HermanK
just joined

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 am

I need help setting up BGP on two router boards, but i am a serious first trimmer.
Who can help?

chvdr

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 am

I need help setting up BGP on two router boards, but i am a serious first trimmer.
Who can help?
i suppose many people can help you but nobody will do that.
you have to explain some configuration you do. after that many people can tell you what to correct...

btw, i am novice on bgp so i can't help

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:02 pm

Who can help?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/BGP

=)