Community discussions

MikroTik App

ben
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF instances, filters and headaches!

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello, are you ready for this?!

If anyone can help me, I'd be extremely grateful! I'm banging my head against a brick wall at the moment!

I could be going about this completely the wrong way. If you think I should scrap what I've done... please tell me!

What I need to do is have a Mikrotik router (Router A) accepting PPPoE sessions on two physical interfaces. Then the traffic from these interfaces passed to another Mikrotik router (Router B), and pushed through VLANs at the other end. The VLANs need to still needs to keep the traffic separated like they were from the original interface it came from on Router A.

I'm using RouterOS 4.6

I have a Mikrotik router (Router A) with two interfaces, each physical interface has a PPPoE server bound to it. I can establish a PPPoE session without any problem, the users are authenticated by a RADIUS server.

I have created an EoIP tunnel for each PPPoE server, between Router A and Router B. Router B will change the EoIP to a VLAN later.

Each EoIP tunnel has a /30 network assigned to it. So I have an IP at either end to route the traffic.

Each PPPoE server (on Router A) has a separate profile, which sets the local address, to the same IP assigned to the Router A end of the EoIP tunnel.

The IP addresses assigned to the end user could be anything, I need to use OSPF to send the routing information to Router B.

I have an OSPF instance for each EoIP tunnel.

Actually, up to this point, everything is working as I would hope it would. It's the OSPF and filters that are giving me trouble.

Because there are two EoIP tunnels, and two paths that OSPF can see, Router B has two entries for each PPPoE session, with a route back through each EoIP tunnel. The distance is the same, and the route marked active appears to just be random, so the traffic for the session doesn't always go back through the same EoIP tunnel is came from.

On Router A I created a Routing Filters for each OSPF instance (for each EoIP tunnel).

When I look at the entry in the routing table on Router A for a PPPoE session. I can see the Pref Source is the Local Address I specified in the PPP Profile, this lets me know what interface the traffic originated from. So, I set my Routing Filter to look at the Pref Source and if it doesn't match, my action is to Discard the information.

I've tried this as as incoming and outgoing filter and I just can't make it work. I know filters are working because I tried altered the filter and made it look at the IP address of the PPPoE session and get the desired result. It's like the Pref Source is being ignored in the filter.

Right. So there's my story. What am I doing wrong with the filter... or is there a completely different way I should be going about this to get my required result!

THANK YOU for making it this far!

;)
Ben

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPF instances, filters and headaches!

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey Ben,

Don't mean to be a damper, but I am pretty sure OSPF is broken in 4.6. Just be aware of this when going through your troubleshooting. Please see:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39951
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38992