Community discussions

MikroTik App

analog
Topic Author

Memory Leak with BGP?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I recently turned up my first BGP sessions using ROS. It is with 2 ISPs. I am taking full routes from each ISP using a RB1000. My memory usage graphs are showing a disturbing trend that appears to be a memory leak.

Monthly: Image
Yearly: Image

As you can see, before turning up BGP, my memory usage was consistent. Since turning up BGP (big spike in memory usage as expected), it is on the rise consistently. At this rate, it might just be a few more days before I run out of memory. Is there a memory leak in ROS? Has anyone else using BGP seen similar? I'm using ROS version 4.9.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Memory Leak with BGP?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:49 pm

I wonder if route flaps are the cause of memory usage. Say you get 300,000 routes, that takes X chunk of memory. Each time there are updates possibly it is not releasing memory because it's fragmented now. I have been running BGP for years and years on MT (3.30 latest in prod) and haven't seen this before (that I can remember). maybe you can take a supout in the beginning and one a few days later and then open a ticket.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 pm

I've been experiencing the same thing for a while now. I first noticed it in the 3.20's when I started taking 2 full bgp feeds. I've upgraded through 4.10 and am still experiencing the problem. I've tried different RB1000's but haven't tried x86 hardware yet. If I don't reboot before it runs out of memory it will sometimes reboot on its own or lock until I power cycle.

I opened a ticket back in March about this. "[Ticket#2010030766000161] Memory Leak?"

changeip, are you taking full bgp? x86 or rb1000?

Thanks,
Gerard

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 am

x86 - but only taking about 20k - 40k routes.

analog
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:25 am

I had to reboot my router the other day for upgrade to 4.10, but until that point, a sawtooth pattern was beginning to emerge on my memory usage. No instability encountered yet.

So far on 4.10 and upgraded RB1000 firmware to 2.27 the climb has begun again.

Gerard, please post here if you get any feedback on your ticket. Too bad it has been opened for 3 months. If you don't here back in a couple days, let me know and I'll open a 2nd ticket for this issue.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Here's my graphs from my current router. The previous rb1000 had 1 gig of ram and did the same thing.
bgpmemory2.png
The time from March to June is when I was filtering most of the incoming routes with
add action=discard chain=in-att comment="" disabled=no invert-match=no prefix-length=17-32

Gerard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Here is an upgrade from 2.9.51 to 3.30 on x86.

You can see the first half never decreased, only increased (releasing memory). The second half was the upgrade to 3.30 and you can see it actually seemed to release memory and change depending on how many routes there were. I have not dared to try 4.x on those routers yet.

I'm only taking about 20k-30k routes. Rather than filter using prefix length I filter on who's directly connected to that peer (customer route), and then just use level3 for everything else. There's not really any reason to take full peering tables from each peer unless you pay the exact same for all of them.

Ozelo

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:22 pm

We have a RB1000 running 320k BGP routes @ ROS 4.9 and we didn't see this behavior. We are graphing using "/tools graphing" and shows a stable and constant usage within the last 15 days...

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:46 pm

We too are seeing a constant rise in memory consumption on an x86 dual-core router taking full ipv4 and ipv6 routes from one peer in another AS.

It is also the sawtooth pattern with a general rising trend. It seems to be losing around 3 or megabytes per day.

This router is running BGP with ipv4 in one peer, and ipv6 in another peer (to the same remote side), and OSPFv2 and OSPFv3, there are some firewall rules, and basically nothing else (it sends log messages to a remote host).

Its currently running 4.10, we also saw the memory problem in 4.5

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:47 am

We have been seeing this exact problem with Mikrotik after the mid 3.xx's version release (I never kept notes so I don't know which version). Basically, RAM is stable until BGP full-routes is installed (naturally as more prefixes are annouced the RAM should climb) but I was seeing a few meg's per day at one point. The router would get low on resources and simply fail. Hard power cycle required to recover. This happens often. I've been rebooting the Mikrotik RB1000 once a month to avoid this happening.

Reliability is not so good :(

ccsleedsltd
just joined

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Chaps. Have any of you seen any stability in this issue yet? Had a customers' RB1000 with 4.10 on it do exactly the same this morning. If we clear the BGP peer at perhaps 450meg and the table reloads then it drops again to 250meg is. This is a single 350k routes peer at present.

Welcome anyones updates/comments.

Cheers,

Pete

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:24 am

There have been no changes or updates that I have applied since my previous posting that has corrected this error. I really love Mikrotik, but I have come to the conclusion that the BGP implementation is just no good. I have sent countless support.rif's to Mikrotik and I get no meaningful help. I recently made the switch to another routing platform to handle BGP and I can actually get a good night's sleep now. Mikrotik used to seem somewhat BGP stable in the 3.xx releases, but the 4.xx releases gotta be flawed somehow. A real shame considering the price. I do not believe I had any 'crazy' BGP configuration or anything like that. I have also noticed some crashing with Metarouters, but that is another story. I primarily use RB1000's RB1100's and 750's. I used to do PC based mikrotik, but I liked the compact 1U design of their routers (and price, and ease of install - fits in a backpack). If any 'official' Mikrotik folks are reading this, all I can tell you is I played by the rules for over a year waiting for a fix and nothing ever happened. I was quickly told to switch of SNMP (which was a real problem for me) - I did that too, that didn't solve the problem. Despite all this, I still love Mikrotik and wish there were more features for IPv6 and SFP (fiber) connectivity options. Would be great if they made an ADSL module too (or dual modules to do bonding)

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I can also confirm that there is a memory leak in the BGP implementation of Mikrotik v4.16.

The graph is made on i386 arhitecture.

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Also, CPU utilization starts growing (and going) crazy when a peer is lost, or full routes are being sent to a peer. Also noticed that routes come in pretty slowly. Not certain if the slow routes is due to RB1000/RB1100 hardware. Quagga on x86 runs far better, even on slower computers.

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 am

Indeed I thought that the routes were getting in pretty slow but that depends on the CPU quite a lot. If you have a quad cpu and a lot of bandwidth between the peers you'll get them pretty fast at about 70-80 Mbps.

What is quite annoying is that if the router receives a lot of packets (more than it can handle) it won't simply start dropping packets, it will break the peering sessions on which the packets arrive an possibly some others which are unrelated with "hold time expired" error message. Better interrupt internal management is needed.

Also I am curious if using Intel server boards with offloading will produce better results. In principle it should also receive a buffer of packets before doing one interrupt request and not 1 interrupt/packet like it does when using usual ethernet boards. Does anyone have any experience with such ethernet cards?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:58 pm

I can also confirm that there is a memory leak in the BGP implementation of Mikrotik v4.16.

The graph is made on i386 arhitecture.
Does the memory usage is growing and growing until there is no free memory and router hangs? From graphs it doesn' t look that way.

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 am

In my 1GB RAM RB1100 system, when the RAM gets to the 300-400MB level, it starts degrading rapidly, CPU utilization climbs to 100% then the router dies - I need to do a power cycle to get it back up and running.

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:01 am

Does the memory usage is growing and growing until there is no free memory and router hangs? From graphs it doesn' t look that way.
Yes it does, but it takes weeks. Had 2 lock-ups at about 200-250 MB RAM free in the system and had to reboot it.

Edit: There you go, it just keeps rising.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:54 am

from 700kb to 1mb ? that graph is strange

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 am

In my 1GB RAM RB1100 system, when the RAM gets to the 300-400MB level, it starts degrading rapidly, CPU utilization climbs to 100% then the router dies - I need to do a power cycle to get it back up and running.
If you can generate one supout right after rotuter is rebooted. Then wait until memory climbs to the point where "it starts degrading rapidly" and generate another supout. Both files send to support.

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 pm

from 700kb to 1mb ? that graph is strange
The graph is not strage... you multiply by the vertical scale - which says KiloBytes :?

So there is no mb but GB, the system has 2 GB of RAM. The point is that the leak is there.

mhosts

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Curious if anyone that are using RB1000U's have actually switched from the default RAM.

I have a RB1000 running BGP with 2 peers and the default (512mb) of RAM and ROS 4.5. And I cannot confirm any graphs that look like the above.

I'm only holding about 100k routes at this point though.

johndjmix
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am

Has this memory leak issue been resolved?

--John

matthew
just joined

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

I'd also be curious to see where we currently stand with other folks taking on at least 2 IPv4 + IPv6 routing tables on the current release (5.4).

I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of RouterOS devices for our BGP routers, but if memory's not being released during the course of normal BGP updates-- that's enough to stop me in my tracks.

analog
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm the original poster and I've been running this for the last year or so and have had multiple "crashes". The RB1000 keeps routing, so customers don't notice a problem. However, I cannot login with WinBox and VPN sessions won't establish. That's when I know it's time to reboot the thing. I have to do it with a remote power cycle box, since I cannot login to the router. This happens about every 30 days. See graphs:

Has anyone had better performance with ROS 5.x? I'm still running ROS 4.16 because I haven't seen anything in the changelogs that confirms this problem and that it is fixed.

Next month I plan to take the RB1000 out and put in a Cisco router. I need more reliable performance than what RB1000 is giving me right now for BGP. I'd much rather keep the Mikrotik in, because it is so much easier to admin and affords other great features.

I take full feeds (~370k prefixes each) from two ISPs.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 am

Turn SNMP off on the router and you should see the memory leak change dramatically.
I haven't had the energy to pursue this with support@

analog
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 pm

That is interesting and thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it this morning and I can't get past the idea of losing all of my stats tracking to try this. It truly is a shame MT hasn't taken this issue seriously.

I think I'll send an email to support just to give them one more shot at a resolution before I give up and go back to Cisco for BGP peering. I'll post back here if I get any useful information from them.

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I've been experiencing the same problem and when I contacted the MK support they mentioned disabling SNMP. I would disable dude probing as well. (I think the dude is trying to read all the listed routes almost 300K plus on a full BGP table).

I tried querying a few times but the response I got was always it will be fixed in the upcoming versions still no luck.

Sotiris

analog
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 pm

The Dude definitely played a role. I had multiple crashes this morning. Just opening the device in The Dude would crash the router. I disabled SNMP and RouterOS probing for that device in The Dude and that stopped the crashing. Too early to tell if it stops the memory leak, but the 30 minutes of outage I took this morning and the unsatisfactory answer I got from MT Support means I'm putting in a Cisco tomorrow.

MT Support's answer to my ticket:
Hello,

v4.16 is very old version. Since then there were many routing fixes, crash fixes and SNMP fixes.
Since everyone who reported memory leak on v4 does not complain about it after upgrade to v5, then we assume that it have been fixed.
Try to upgrade, if you still see the memory leak, send us new supout files, we will try to fix it.

Regards,
Maris
Sotiris, are you running ROS 5.x?

I understand them wanting me to be on the newest version. But, without them knowing of a specific issue that has been fixed in 5.x that resolves this memory issue, it's not certain enough to keep experimenting with my customer's core router. This site is a 3+ hour drive and I refuse to do a remote upgrade on it. Been bit by that before with a 3+ hour outage! If I'm going to drive all the way out there, I'll be installing a router that I'm 100% certain will be reliable as a BGP peering point.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 pm

I know that after I upgraded to version 5, I've stopped complaining about it... Not because it was fixed, but because I've accepted the fact that it is NOT going to be fixed and I should just move on and use something else for our BGP.

Gerard

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:41 am

I have 2 RB1000 taking full feeds. Running 3.30/4.17 both are stable.
I disabled snmp as this hogs them. Both have 2 Gb ram. And they do
nothing else. No configuration changes.

sioannou
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi analog,

I moved to a quagga box for my BGP, I agree with Gerard above. I had a few failed queries with the MK support and every time the reply is upgrade to the latest version. I wouldn't want to start testing with customer network stability.

Sotiris