MikroTik App

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Multicast In a WISP setup

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:16 am

Hey All,

After spending quite some time now working on multicast systems and setups that I want to trial I've hit a rather large brickwall that I'm having no luck with.

I have managed to get multicast working with a core MT router that has a VLC server connected and streaming to 232.0.0.1, I have attached a computer to another interface on the same router and got the Multicast stream to play. I then connected another MT router acting as an AP to the core MT router and connected off that AP and got the Multicast stream to play. I have then attached a MT CPE to this AP and attempted to play the Multicast stream which is where it fails.

I'm getting a error in the AP logs to do with PIM:

Join/Prune Entry for group 239.255.255.250 RP address does not match: router RP = 172.16.1.1 message RP = 172.16.3.1

This is a visio layout of my testing lab right now, I need to be able to have multiple AP routers attached to the core and have the CPE get multicast without having to vlan/layer2 the CPE back to the core. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really quite stuck

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Multicast In a WISP setup

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:40 am

It seems if i change the CPE RP to 172.16.1.1 and do a static route/masq nat on it I can get it to work which I'll use for the time being untill a better soulution comes along from testing/here

The next question I have if about WDS+Multicast, our current setup is that clients off our AP use WDS which creates a number of interfaces for each client on the AP. Is it possible to run multicast on the AP interface to all clients without having to turn off WDS?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

if you have non-overlapping local areas that are NATed, you can add this network in MRIB. as result it can be reachable even if it not through routing.

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will give that a try in the lab tomorrow, Any idea about my wireless+wds+mcast question?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am

wds most probably means bridge, and you can find a lot of about that on the forums.

best try is to either make tunnels or bridge firewall to drop