Community discussions

MikroTik App

THG
Topic Author

VLAN and VMware ESXi

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 am

I have a problem, I think VLAN tagged traffic gets blocked by the virtual switch in VMware ESXi. I used torch, and I cannot see any VLAN tagged traffic. This is probably a VMware issue, but I think I might ask if someone know what the problem is?

Network Layout

MikroTik Virtual Machine-----> VMware Virtual Switch-----> Physical Network Adapter-----> 3com Switch

I'm trying to use MikroTik RouterOS as a DHCP server for all subnets. I'm pretty sure that it's not a misconfigured VLAN Switch, because it's working if I connect it to another unit. Last test will be with a real MikroTik Router, not a virtual machine. The problem is that I don't have a spare unit, so I have to get one first.

abeggled
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: VLAN and VMware ESXi

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 am

I think you have 2 problems.

torch:
Have you enabled promiscuous mode on vSwitch?
Vlans in VM
Do you want multiple vlans on one vNIC in your ROS-VM? Then you have to use VLANid 4095 and add VLAN-interface in ROS.
Do you want one VLAN per vNIC in your VM? Then create Portgroups with the corresponding VLANid in your vSwitch. Assign the correct VLAN to the vNICs of your VM. Each interface in ROS is in one (untagged)VLAN.

THG
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 am

Do you want multiple vlans on one vNIC in your ROS-VM? Then you have to use VLANid 4095 and add VLAN-interface in ROS.
Thank you for your reply, this is exactly what I want to do.

ruebenmaster

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Hallo,
i have the same Problem. But the promi mode don't work. All on the vmware esx 6 is configured, like your post.

MikroTik x86 --- Portgroup Vlan 1234 (vSwicth-vmnic) --- MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

The x86 Router doesn't get a DHCP Adress from the CRS125. Anybody an idea? I tried so many things, now a have no ideas more...

Greetings
ruebenmaster

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 am

I had this problem myself. You need to give the vSwitches and port groups vlan ID 4095.

Vlan ID 1 as the default is vlan unaware, vlan ID is 4095 aware of and non blocking (passthrough).