Community discussions

MikroTik App

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Proper OSPF settings for my topology

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:02 am

Can I get a bit of advice for configuring my optimal OSPF settings?

I have attached a diagram of my network topology. It's basically a series of point to point, back to back wireless links that are all bridged together except for one link which is a separate network. At each site (branch) there is a LAN that is not bridged with the RBs. It's information is redistributed via OSFP. It's all working fairly well except that I get a bit of random downtime that does not correspond to times the individual links have gone down. I felt like perhaps my dead timer settings were incorrect so I changed them from 40s to 4000s since it did not seem necessary to declare a router dead since there is no alternative route.

But I started wondering if I'm just doing this all wrong and there is a better way to configure this arrangement.

Most of the wireless links are bridged with WDS except the first and last links which are just bridged.

The 750G units at each site bridge the radios together but do not bridge the LANs. They advertise the LANs throughout the OSPF routing scheme. Every device in this diagram except the Sonicwall participates in OSPF. The devices in the blue and red areas are set to PTMP mode rather than broadcast as I found that broadcast produced terrible results.

The Sonicwall is the default gateway for the HQ LAN, does not participate in the OSFP scheme, and has a static route which forwards all the relevant IP ranges to the HQ mikrotik for routing to the appropriate location. It is all working well, I just want to figure out how to improve.

Any advice would be appreciated. (See attached.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Proper OSPF settings for my topology

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 am

Your primary problem isn't OSPF, it's the fact that you have a large bridged network. Fix that and you'll have fewer OSPF problems. Your network really doesn't warrant more than one area. If you wanted to go fancy the blue routers are backbone area 0 up to the interfaces on the LAN routers, the networks behind them are stub areas. The red routers could be a separate area if you wanted them to be.
Overall, though, that isn't going to improve much. Route, don't bridge.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:47 am

Sorry, it's only one area. The red zone was just me taking that leg out of the bridge and putting it into a separate subnet.

So you are saying I should do away with the bridging and make each link it's own separate routed space?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:06 am

Right, I am saying you could break up the OSPF configuration as I posted but you wouldn't get much benefit out of that. You would get a lot of benefit out of converting every link to routed and not bridging anything, anywhere. Since you already run a routing protocol the routes to the links will propagate nicely.

Sorry for being unclear.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:11 am

OK, I'll break each link up and see how more reliable my links are.

I don't think you were being unclear. Thanks!