Community discussions

MikroTik App

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

RB450G Handle OSPF + PPPOE + PCQ?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Is this asking too much of this router? I have one set up at a site and when I route ~15Mbps or more over it the CPU starts choking out stuck at %100.

I upgraded one site to RB1100 and it helped but I thought RB450G could handle it?

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB450G Handle OSPF + PPPOE + PCQ?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Is this asking too much of this router? I have one set up at a site and when I route ~15Mbps or more over it the CPU starts choking out stuck at %100.

I upgraded one site to RB1100 and it helped but I thought RB450G could handle it?
From waht I read, MPLS would be more efficient than PPPOE. I remember somewhere PPPOE using a lot of CPU compared to that.

wifi442
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 pm

From waht I read, MPLS would be more efficient than PPPOE. I remember somewhere PPPOE using a lot of CPU compared to that.
I am using pppoe to authenticate users connected the tower. The OSPF is running the backbone that passes through the same router. I have all pppoe connections set to passive too. I thought that would help for sure but its still affected.

Right now when the router is just passing traffic to the pppoe users it seems fine. Once I adjust cost on my OSPF backbone to allow traffic from other towers to pass through this one it starts to bog down.

I want to get OSPF routing running on other parts of my network as well. But some towers only have a RB750 running as a switch. I'm sure I will have to upgrade, but I don't know what to upgrade to!

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 pm

How much CPU is used depends on pppoe user count, queue count, firewall and mangle rule count and how many packets are inspected by each rule.