Community discussions

MikroTik App

troy
Topic Author

VLAN + VPLS + MPLS l2mtu 1516 or 1530?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Reading through the wiki and forums, I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how all this VLAN/VPLS/MPLS stuff works together.

If I want to transport VLAN traffic over VPLS, is my l2mtu 1516 or 1530? mrz posted in this thread that the ethernet header is not part of the l2mtu. Yet, the wiki article referenced, shows a diagram that does include the ethernet header, yielding a l2mtu of 1530.

Is mrz mistaken? Is the ethernet header included? Is there an error in the diagram, and the ethernet header is not included? Why does the diagram show 2 ethernet headers, including one in the total but not the other?

hedele

Re: VLAN + VPLS + MPLS l2mtu 1516 or 1530?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 pm

If you are using VLAN, VPLS needs to encapsulate the appropriate ethernet header as well.
So in that case, you have an outer ethernet header (for Transport on wire) and an inner ethernet header (where your VLAN is contained).
Therefore, your L2MTU is 1530.

troy
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Bummer. I guess VPLS is out of the question... I'm not about to start provisioning a VPLS tunnel per customer.

Is there any way to transport a VLAN over a routed network without fragmentation? Bridging is fun, but I'd rather get away from it if I can. I hate seeing every last bit of broadcast traffic showing up in every little nook and cranny of my network.

hedele

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 am

You don't need to provision them manually.
Try using BGP autodiscovery for VPLS (there's a wiki entry for that). It works like a charm.
It's a lot less work than fondling around with VPLS tunnels by hand.

Also, I wouldn't break too much of a sweat about having to fragment.
As RouterOS is using VPLS Controlword, it transparently fragments packets going through a VPLS tunnel,
just like an EoIP tunnel would.

From tests that I did, two Routerboards 600A running at 533 MHz are able to push in excess of 600 Megabits per second though a VPLS tunnel between them,
even if they have to fragment and reassemble (I set L2 and MPLS MTU to 1500, while transmitting 1500-byte sized packets). An EoIP Tunnel on the same machine only managed about 280 Megabits. So VPLS is really worth it, even if you have to fragment :)

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

Is mrz mistaken? Is the ethernet header included? Is there an error in the diagram, and the ethernet header is not included? Why does the diagram show 2 ethernet headers, including one in the total but not the other?
If you look at the diagram more carefully, you will see that it is not included when calculating L2MTU until VPLS encapsulation occur.
Ethernet header is there only to show you that it exists and that whole ethernet frame (including ethernet header) is encapsulated into VPLS packet.

troy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 pm

OK, help me understand fragmentation... will it be end-to-end, or just on the one ethernet link between R4 and R5?
vpls tunnel.png
If it is end-to-end fragmentation, how will this impact performance on the wireless links? Will there be a reduction in available bandwidth?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.