Community discussions

MikroTik App

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

OSPF over PPPoE: OSPF DB routes not installed to table

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 am

I'm having a rather odd issue and wanted to see if anybody has done or tried anything similar.

I have a Cisco 7200 running 12.2SRE acting as PPPoE LAC/LNS and OSPF router. I also have 3 PPPoE clients: 1x Cisco 871, 1x RB493G and 1x RB433AH. The 871 is running 12.4(24)T3 and the RB units are running 5.5

I am then trying to get OSPF working over the PPPoE connection, I am able to get neighbors to come up between the LNS and each PPPoE client. While OSPF comes up I am having some issues with the routes being installed into the routing table on the MikroTik clients. The routes do appear in the OSPF database, however for some reason they do not appear in the regular routing table. The Cisco CPE works just fine and the Cisco LNS correctly installs routes from the MikroTik clients into its routing table also.

It looks as if the MikroTik clients are having issues installing the routes for some strange reason.

Both Cisco units correctly detect the interface type of the Virtual Access or Dialer interface as point-to-point, while MikroTik needs to be manually told about the interface type. Ironically enough when discussing this with support I have helped them to fix a MikroTik/MikroTik bug when using OSPF over PPPoE, though I seem to be having problems getting any traction with my Cisco/MikroTik problem.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: OSPF over PPPoE: OSPF DB routes not installed to table

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 am

So, nobody has done OSPF over PPPoE?

suivethefirst
just joined

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi,

Did you get this issue resolved? I am having exactly the same problem with point-to-point interfaces (PPPoE and L2TP).

Cheers.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:40 am

Still not fixed in 5.8

I suggest you log a support ticket and let us know how it goes.

suivethefirst
just joined

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:15 pm

I'll try opening a support ticket but so far my experience with MikroTik support has been very poor. I'll post back if I get anything.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:33 am

Does the association come up as "Full"? Or is it just "I see you", "Init". Or "I see you, you see me", "2-Way"?

Make sure you have the same MTU on both the cisco and the MikroTik. You may want to tell the cisco to allow MTU mismatch.

I have several DSL connections from MikroTik/ImageStream/pfSense/Cisco boxes to my Cisco 7204VXR DSL aggregation box. However, I am not running PPPoE on those links. I have them setup as RBE.
interface ATM2/0.4 point-to-point
 description DSL to locationname PoP 
 mtu 1500
 bandwidth 3000
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
 ip nat inside
 ip ospf authentication message-digest
 ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 7 ******
 ip ospf network point-to-point
 ip ospf cost 121
 ip ospf mtu-ignore
 atm route-bridged ip
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
 pvc locationname 1/205 
  ubr 6144
  encapsulation aal5snap
 !
end

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:19 am

Make sure you have the same MTU on both the cisco and the MikroTik. You may want to tell the cisco to allow MTU mismatch.
No. This would be bad. It might come up initially. After a while the LSAs and DBDs are too big for one side as the network grows, and get silently discarded, and you flap all over the place. If you're lucky it happens within weeks or months and you remember. If you're not it happens in years and whoever has to troubleshoot it has to figure out a minute detail that's really, really hard to spot.

Just make the MTUs match. Don't allow mismatches.

suivethefirst
just joined

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 pm

In my case I have "ip ospf mtu-ignore" on the point-to-point interfaces already because it is a lab environment. Regardless of whether this is enabled (and there is a matching MTU on each end of the point-to-point connection anyway) I have the same issue as the OP. If the MTU does not match, and "ip ospf mtu-ignore" is not configured then a neighbour relationship is not established.

The OSPF neighbour relationship is "FULL" and the LSAa are appearing in the OSPF database. They are not however being installed into the route table.

@ fewi - I agree with not enabling "ip ospf mtu-ignore" in a production environment.

suivethefirst
just joined

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm

@lambert - I believe the reason this works for you and you aren't seeing the same behaviour is because you're not using PPP encapsulation. It appears to be the only difference between our configurations (I am using a Cisco ASR 1000 series which is very similar to the 7200 series).

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:24 pm

If the OP controls the access concentrator, the Cisco, my post was meant to suggest RBE as a work around. I appologize if I failed to make that clear. Ignoring MTU differences was meant as a diagnostic tool to prove MTU issues which someone might not have noticed / been able to "see".

Another possible workaround might be to bring up a tunnel on top of the pppoe layer. Then run ospf on top of that. I have that type of setup running to a mikrotik on the other side of an access concentrator which I do not control.