MikroTik App

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Forwarding of DLNA protocols

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Hello all,

I'm going crazy trying to configure my router to route DLNA packets.... I've read manuals about multicasting and IGMPproxy, but still my system isn't working. My setup is:

DLNA server <-----192.168.3.0/24 (LAN) -----> MikroTik <----- 172.16.3.0/20 (WiFi) -----> DLNA receiver

Please give me some advice of how to configure MikroTik to pass thru those DLNA multicast packets to the receiver. I have not much knowledge here (about multicasting), so any help would be appreciated.

fusionmedia
just joined

Re: Forwarding of DLNA protocols

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:39 am

What kind of "WiFi". We've been using Ubiquiti AP's that "support" multicast over wireless, but they do not. We got around the problem by creating an EoIP tunnel. Are you using PIM?

Regards,

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Hello,

At least I'm trying to use PIM. WiFi is installed into MikroTik router and this is Atheros 11N (R52N).

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:56 pm

By the way, on DLNA server side I have configured route:
"route add -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 eth0"
and if I look at packet sniffer on MikroTik then I can see that DLNA server is sending packets to:
224.0.0.22 (igmp)
and
239.255.255.250:1900 (udp)

About WiFi. If DLNA server and receiver are on the same subnet via WiFi then I have no problems at all, so I think WiFi card is capable of routing multicast packets.

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Ok, it's possible I'll go crazy.
What I have: PIM is working, I can see state joined and everything seems to be ok, but I can't discover DLNA server from receiver. However, If I start another DLNA server on WiFi side and ONLY AFTER then I start DLNA server on LAN side then surprisingly I can discover both servers and stream video on both. If I disable DLNA server on WiFi then I'm unable to discover DLNA server on LAN side anymore. But all joins are the same, everything seems to be the same, but just not possible to discover server.
Furthermore. If I discovered DLNA server on LAN side and disable the one on WiFi I still can stream median without any problem. Only rescaning of the servers leads me to loose LAN server. This is some kind of magic. I have no idea what is wrong and what to look for. By the way, during all tests I've disabled firewall completely.

alphalt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 pm

End of the story. The problem was in enabling IP->uPNP. Now I can detect server and stream media, but one problem is still existing. I can detect DLNA server only in the moment when I start it. If I start server and only after I start the receiver the it is unable to detect server. In that case I need to restart server while receiver is up the its ok. On the same subnet I have no such problem. Do you have any idea on that ?

uscallesen
just joined

Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I have a simular setup (and the same problem)

UPNP enabled radio -> wifi network -> AP -> wired Lan (vlan A)-> Microtik -> wired lan (vlan B)

this used to work a few Router OS revisions back but got broken somewhere in the last 2-3 releases (running 5.6 on my RB750G right now).

alfadir
just joined

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Hi,

Have a RB493G running 5.11
Could you explain what settings you set to get this working in PIM ?
Is there a better way ?

I have
ether1 - Internet
ether2 - 192.168.33.X (Subnet contains the DLNA server) Masterport in Switchgroup
ether6 - 192.168.55.X (Subnet contains the DLNA client) Masterport in Switchgroup
wlan0 - 192.168.77.X

What changes would I need to do to Mikrotik to make the DLNA connection to work ?
Is PIM the way to go ? Did you set it on all interfaces ? Did you need to create a RP in this
smaller setup ?
Did you have to change settings on the server or client. Client is a TV and will be harder to change.

Would be interested in a bit more details of your successful setup.

Thanks

alfadir
just joined

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 am

Hi,

Just if someone is having the same problem.
The problem was the DNLA server, and not Mikrotik.
Details regarding MiniDnla here :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/minidl ... dex/page/1

I only had to configure pim on ether2 and ether6 in my setup, and it now works.