Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

MT MPLS Capabilities

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:37 am

Can Mikrotik MPLS handle more than just Ethernet? Can I stick a supported T1 or T3 card into an x86 box and transport it through MPLS to a box on the other side?

If I have a box that will take a T3 and plop it onto MPLS, will MT participate in that cloud and carry it to the other side?

Trying to find ways to transport TDM voice from remote tandems back to a soft switch without spending big bucks on T1 and T3 pipes among LATAs.

Luth

Re: MT MPLS Capabilities

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Can Mikrotik MPLS handle more than just Ethernet? Can I stick a supported T1 or T3 card into an x86 box and transport it through MPLS to a box on the other side?

If I have a box that will take a T3 and plop it onto MPLS, will MT participate in that cloud and carry it to the other side?

Trying to find ways to transport TDM voice from remote tandems back to a soft switch without spending big bucks on T1 and T3 pipes among LATAs.
If I understand your question, you are asking if Mikrotik MPLS do TDM over IP? I don't know but why you convert TDM singal in to IP packet so you can sure do transport over mpls or IP network to the other end and then reconvert IP packet to TDM signal?

Look on Wikipedia for a description of technology and on google to see manufacture/vendor of mediagateways.

bye
Luciano

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Native MPLS is faster, more efficient and more pure than gateways on either side. The purpose of MPLS is to tunnel any technology over any technology.

blake

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 pm

He's asking if MikroTik will pass MPLS packets that encapsulate a non-IP packet.

Cisco - Any Transport over MPLS (AToM).

I'm curious about this as well. I have Cisco & MikroTik equipment to test this. I just need to find time to build the lab.

broadband
just joined

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi,

You do need TDMoP (TDM over packet / TDM pseudowire emulation) box.. Do you need 1,2 or more T1 / T3?
When do you need and how many? What other features do you want to use?

You can send me an email if you have a big project. TDM pseudowire emulation will be one of my design focus in late 2012..

Regards

Ali

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

We do not support any TDM interfaces, but if RouterOS router is in the middle of the network it will forward any MPLS frames (no matter whether there is TDM or any thing else encapsulated in them).

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks

Eising
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

I just wanted to clarify a misconception here:

MPLS is not protocol agnostic. It can transport IP and Ethernet, and probably some other protocols as well, just as the underlying technology for MPLS can be IP and ATM. TDM services are different, and cannot just be transported by MPLS, since they require timing/clocking across the entire transmission.

Work is ongoing within ITU to define MPLS-T/MPLS-TP. Both are MPLS-like protocols that decouple the label switching from the IP-layer, but they are in no way finalized, and if they do, I doubt they would work with current MPLS standards.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 am

RFC 4553 and RFC 5086 provide a lot of details on TDM over Packet networks.

I cannot imagine Mikrotik directly supporting these.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:37 pm

This is to enable legacy voice to be transported over Ethernet, right ? For telecoms interconnections etc ?

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Correct. Well, over IP. Some of the network is Ethernet, some is wireless.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

I hear there are specific telephony boxes that do this conversion to Ethernet at least - for a number of lines/simultaneous calls whatever its called.

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Rad makes some boxes that I'm looking to try out, but was looking for the least number of devices, most carrier level quality.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 am

Extreme Networks make a box for exactly this.

See http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/E4G-200.aspx