Community discussions

MikroTik App

g1computer
just joined
Topic Author

iBGP case

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:51 pm

My mikrotik router is learning two default routes from two cisco routers via iBGP. My ip prefix x/16 is divided into two subnets, say x1/17 & x2/17. I have announced x/16 & x1/17 via provider1 and x/16 & x2/17 via provider2 via eBGP with providers. This way I have maintained load balancing & failover with two providers.

On mikrotik I have done policy routing to point x1/17 to cisco1 & x2/17 to cisco2. This way load is balanced but not fault tolerrent. For example if fiber link to provider1 goes down x1/17 prefix falls into trouble. x1/17 is still reachable from internet via provider2 but my mikrotik always sends the outgoing traffic of x1/17 to cisco1. I want the mikrotik router send the prefix x1/17 to cisco2 in case of link breakage with provider1.

How to have a load balancing with failover via iBGP in mikrotik router? I have public IPs & public ASN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

iBGP case

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 am

Assuming you are filtering out (or not receiving) default route fro your two providers, you can use multiple default routes with different distances - set the lower distance for the preferred outbound source and set check gateway=yes. This way of the preferred gateway for that particular /17 becomes unavailable it will use the default route with the higher distance.

It takes about thirty seconds to changeover, so maybe there are better ways.

g1computer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: iBGP case

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Dear vk7zms,

you talk only about failover, I am in need of load balancing with failover via BGP.

vk7zms
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

iBGP case

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 am

I was assuming you were going to leave all the current load balancing config in place.

Can you post your policy based rules to direct outbound traffic.

Are the two Cisco routers you speak of inside your network, or at your providers end of your fibre link.

Is your ASN advertising to your suppliers from your mikrotik router?

g1computer
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 am

Two cisco routers speak eBGP with upstream provider and learns default route. These two default routes, from each cisco router, is passed to mikrotik router via iBGP among them. Now mikrotik router has two default routes. Now I want to route one /17 via cisco1 and another /17 via cisco2. In addition if fiber link to one of the upstream provider goes down mikrotik will have only one default route. In such case whole prefix /16 should go through another uplink provider whose fiber link is fine.

Any suggestion, plz???

This is possible to do in cisco router using route-map features & changing bgp attributes.

MikroTikIQ
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 am

Hi..

Could you please export you config Here.. so I would like to see how did you confing your routing table..

/ip route export

I think its quite easy to fix it ..

My best regards
Ali Sami

MikroTikIQ
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 am

Hi..

Here is simple solutions and use full at same time

Just add one more connection between to cisco routers and create new peer connection between Cisco routers as iBGP..

what will happen when provide that connected to cisco1 goes down.. the learned default from Cisco2 will be activate and use as backup link..

Please see attached pic..

Let me know if all is clear for you dear and its work

Also please see http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/AE12/ali.pdf

Best regards

Ali Sami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.