MikroTik App

kellogs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Multiple Mikrotik x86 boxes with single ASN for BGP

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Good Day Everyone,

I am planning to purchase 4 x86 boxes and each unit install Mikrotik on it.

This is for BGP peering only

I am wondering if this would work

no of ASN = 1
no of Upstream = 4
No of prefix = 4 /24

Each of the x86 box would peer with 1 upstream and advertise the 4 /24

Would this work?

MikroTikIQ
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Multiple Mikrotik x86 boxes with single ASN for BGP

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 am

Hi..

Its would be nice..

But you can use single box to do all what you want ... http://routerboard.com/RB44Ge

But if you look for very redundant solutions Yes its can be done with 3 of this box..

Also its can be more complicated and having bigger scale of BGP design .. like using 5 x86 box 4 for ISP and 1 for your local network.. and its will be fullmesh and full redundant ... for more info please see http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/AE12/ali.pdf

two of them will connect to ISP and the last one will connect to your local network ...

See attached diagram how you can implement full redundant connectivity using 3 x86 box..

This solution will provide you redundant connection and hardware too..

Also you need to :
1- create 4 route object for each /24 subnet at IR organization like RIPE ...
2- Advertise you /24 subnet to all 4 ISP but with different BGP attribute to achieve getting each /24 subnet from one service provide also with redundancy like if one the ISP is goes down your traffic will return from another preferred ISP

Let me know if all is clear for you..

Best Regards
Ali Sami
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kellogs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Multiple Mikrotik x86 boxes with single ASN for BGP

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Ali,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on your diagram if the 3rd box which is connecting to the local network is down, we are going to have a sitedown since it is only single unit.

I am also thinking about the redundancy for the L2/3 switch which would be used for inter connecting these devices as they would need to be redundant as well.

Right now what I have is a hot standby on the L2/3 switch (procurve), if the Active unit is down, it would involve of unplugging cable on this switch to the hot standby unit ... not elegant solution i have here