Community discussions

zhall
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

BGP; best practices in accepting and announcing routes

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm fairly new to all of this so I was just mostly hoping someone could point me in the direction I need to start out in.

I currently have BGP running at our edge, announcing routes and so forth with our backbone providers. All the way on the other side of my network is a client who also wishes to announce BGP routes.

What's the best setup for making this happen? Currently I don't have any dynamic routing setup but I can implement that if it's the best way to get it done. I.e. do I tunnel the client back to our edge BGP router? Do I setup some sort of dynamic routing that picks up the routes from a BGP router setup infront of the client?

wulfgard
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: BGP; best practices in accepting and announcing routes

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm

setup a router in front of your customer for BGP ( it becomes an edge router )
apply filters on:

1) outbounf AS prefix so you only announce your AS and the one of your customer ( remember it can prepend )
2) outbound prefix must be filtered so you announce your IPV4 / IPV6 prefix and the ones from your customer

be aware that upstreams may base their own filter rules upon the ARIN / RIPE informations that
you and your customer are providing

any way you must also filter AS and prefix announced by your customer or you may experience routing issues

Thierry
System and Network Engineer
Mikrotik Trainer - MTCNA MTCRE
Official French Mikrotik Distributor