Community discussions

soulphish
just joined
Topic Author

Cant get VPLS to Work.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

I have implemented a small network of 9 750G routers. All with MPLS running, and working. With OSPF as the base routing protocol.

I have a VPLS tunnel between router 1 and router 9. Its says its running.

The problem is, nothing uses this tunnel.

I have tried following http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:MPLSVPLS over and over again, but it doesnt seem to help. It only sets up the tunnels, then ends.

Here comes the n00b part....

How do I get 2 PCs to talk to each other form either end of the network through the VPLS tunnel? Is there any particular way that my PCs have to be set up? Or the networks on either end have to be set up? Do they have to be in the same /24 network? Or not have IPs at all?

ANY help here is helpful!

:(

I doubt any of you will have 9 750Gs lying around. BUT...if you do, ive attached the backup for them in a zip file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickshore

Re: Cant get VPLS to Work.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:45 pm

Bridge the VPLS tunnels to the ethernets at each end and then assign IPs to the PCs in the same subnet and they should be able to communicate.

You can get the VPLS tunnels to automatically join the bridge by setting the bridge in the BGP VPLS tab (if you get to implementing some BGP as well)

Hope that helps

Nick.
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

Luth

Re: Cant get VPLS to Work.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 pm

I have implemented a small network of 9 750G routers. All with MPLS running, and working. With OSPF as the base routing protocol.

I have a VPLS tunnel between router 1 and router 9. Its says its running.

The problem is, nothing uses this tunnel.

I have tried following http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:MPLSVPLS over and over again, but it doesnt seem to help. It only sets up the tunnels, then ends.

Here comes the n00b part....

How do I get 2 PCs to talk to each other form either end of the network through the VPLS tunnel? Is there any particular way that my PCs have to be set up? Or the networks on either end have to be set up? Do they have to be in the same /24 network? Or not have IPs at all?

ANY help here is helpful!

:(

I doubt any of you will have 9 750Gs lying around. BUT...if you do, ive attached the backup for them in a zip file.
The answer is simple! You must bridge the vpls interface to something to use it! For example you can bridge the vpls interface and one ethernet port in a bridge1 interface.

You are in a lab scenario? In a production enviorment I semplify and run OSPF/MPLS only on router that need to partecipate becouse you can have some issue if networks grow.

I hope this help!
Luciano
Luciano Talarico
TLCWEB Srl - Italy
Visit Mikrotik topics on our Linux by Myself website at linuxbms.com