Community discussions

MikroTik App

victornunes
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF stub cost

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to check a few things in ospf, including a scenario like the figure.

In ROU 3 I have a network (172.30.0.0/16) being announced through area 16 and area 17.

I can force the upload traféo out the interface I want by manipulating the cost of the interface.

However, I am facing difficulties in download traffic.

If I dial to "Redistribute Static Routes" as "type 2" and the type of area is "default", I can do the routers above ROU3 to take into account the external costs, set in ROU3.

However, when I put the area as stub, no longer works.

And another thing, when I put "Redistribute Static Routes", left unchecked it, and put chains on the "networks", I lose the functionality of distributing networks as "type 2".

Does anyone here have any solution for that one I found so far was to use the routing filter to make changes to the route distance.

Att,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: OSPF stub cost

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 pm

The purpose of a stub area is to limit the size of the routing table when you have a spoke that has only one entry / exit point. The network segments you are turning into a stub have more than one path in / out.

Another thing to consider, when you redistribute in OSPF, it spans all areas from a topology standpoint - thus circumventing area and ABR hierarchy. As a best practice, it is best to avoid redistribution in OSPF unless you have no other choice. Use network statements whenever possible.

What problem are you trying to solve by making the area a stub? By the looks of it, this should probably all be in Area 0.

victornunes
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Ok @ IPANetEngineer

I drew the figure wrong.
Follows the correct figure.

see if it improves a bit.

In ROU3 I have two OSPF instances, one for each area.
We distribute the network 172.30.0.0/16 two areas.
I can choose the upload traffic handling cost of the interface, but how can I choose the download traffic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm

You still don't have a stub because you have two ways out of the network. Also, R3 is an Area Border Router (ABR) because it participates in two different areas. It is not wise to try and turn an ABR into a stub because it must handle more LSAs than a stub is allowed to use.

Are you trying to force upload traffic out R3 via one link and download traffic in another?

victornunes
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 pm

So, in this case the R3 is not why the ABR R3 I created two instances ospf and two loopback interfaces

In one instance I put ether1 and loopback 1 and in the two instance I put ether2 and loopback 2 and instance 1 and 2 I put the network 172.30.0.0/16.

I would like to force the download and upload the same link.

The upload I can do by simply changing the cost of the interface.
However, as I do like the download, without changing the cost of the interface on R1 and R2?