MikroTik App

mauricioisp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Specific routes using BGP with default route

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 am

Hi guys,
We've two Internet connections with BGP and each one only gives me the default route, my ISPs say they can't give me FULL BGP. So, I would like to have one link dedicated only to youtube and netflix. And the other link for all the other traffic. My problem is that my ISPs give me default route, is there any way to create a rule or filter to send youtube/netflix's CIDR via link ONE and take advantage of redundancy of BGP?

Thanks,

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Specific routes using BGP with default route

Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:39 am

you can change routing mark in routing filters. And then use mark-routing in mangle to mark youtube and other traffic you want to send over that gateway.

mauricioisp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi mrz,
Should I use content youtube or an address-list?

Thanks,

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:19 pm

The problem is that you can't control the incoming traffic like you need it. Only the outgoing traffic is really manageable. So even if you had BGP full views, it wouldn't help you with this.
The routers on the other end (youtube, netflix, etc.) decide by them selves which way to send the traffic. Incoming traffic can only be influenced via AS-PATH prepend or communities (If your ISP supports some). This way one path appears to be longer over one ISP or one ISP doesn't even announce your prefix to some peers. But this affects the whole connection not just one destination.
I don't know how youtube, netflix, etc. manage their traffic but some service providers try to route the traffic as symmetric as possible. Which means they try to send replies the same way back as they received the request. This is the only chance you have with your own IP prefix.

This is just how BGP works.

There's another way to achieve what you want, but depending on your network, routing policy or your ISPs policy, it may not be an option:

If the subnet between you and your ISP (the one that should be used for youtube) is globally routed too, you could masquerade the traffic to youtube so it appears that the request came from your routers IP which belongs to your ISP. This way you would get the replies over this ISP.
This option has its downsides too. If do that, you have to make sure, that if this ISP isn't reachable, all traffic has to go over the other provider. It may also be a problem for some services, if a lot of users use the same external IP.

Just my 2 ct.

- Mat

c0d3rSh3ll
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi mrz,
Should I use content youtube or an address-list?

Thanks,
With address-list.

Send from my mobile phone using Tapatalk.