Community discussions

MikroTik App

Crami
Topic Author

BGP ECMP (multipathing)

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi There

I have setup where the Customer router (Router Boards) is connected to a MPLS ELAN (VPLS) cloud provided by a third party. We, the ISP are connected redundantly to that cloud with two Cisco Routers. I now set up two BGP
sessions from the Customer Routers to the ISP Routers for redundancy and announce the Prefix the Customer gets assigned and send a default route to them from the Cisco routers.

I now like to do load balancing over these two default gateways. I know that MikroTik has the standpoint that BGP can not do ECMP by design, but all other vendors I know can do it (Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, Fortinet etc.)

As the two BGP sessions do not end on the same router I can not use the loopback method mentioned in the BGP ECMP manual here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:BG ... interfaces
But they reference a Cisco page to explain that other vendors do it the same way and that this is only the right way... fortunately on this same page Cisco explains how BGP multipath works! http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/t ... 45bf.shtml (Load Sharing When Dual-Homed to One Internet Service Provider (ISP) Through a Single Local Router)

Will MikroTik reconsider their standpoint about multipath BGP or do I have to switch back to Cisco for the customer routers?

Regards

Matthias

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: BGP ECMP (multipathing)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 am

It is a hack and we also can do it.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:BG ... interfaces

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Please explain how this is different to what I already wrote. Loopbacks are not possible. There are two (2) BGP sessions to two (2) different routers. So the destination can not be the same.

Or am I wrong ?

Regards

Matthias

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Read that cisco article and mikrotik article, they both uses the same principle and loopback address.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 pm

Have you red the section: Load Sharing When Dual-Homed to One Internet Service Provider (ISP) Through a Single Local Router

This is what I like to accomplish. The other examples are clear and is common practice, I agree...

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

This is exactly the same setup as Load Sharing with the Loopback Address as a BGP Neighbor except that remote end has two routers.
Setup on mikrotik router would be the same, both remote peers establishes BGP session to loopback address.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Remote peers are not the problem. I want two default routes on the Mikrotik to the remote peers. That does not change anything if I make a session to remote peer loopbacks.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:25 pm

So to make it clear you have two BGP R1 and R2 running iBGP between then. They bothhave peering to ISPs router (R3).
And you want to have ECMP routes on R1 and R2?

shell code

R1------------\
 |             \
ibgp           ISP R3
 |             /
R2------------/

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 pm

No, the other way around:
    +-------------- ISP_R1 -+
    |   EBGP                |
 R1-+                       | IBGP
    |   EBGP                |
    +-------------- ISP_R2 -+
R1 is Mikrotik
ISP_R1 and R2 are Cisco

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Then the same setup as described in the manual
R1 has loopback address and both ISP routers should establish connection to loopback. Exact same config is also in cisco article.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Yes, exactly ... But with the little command "maximum-paths 2" in the bgp config!

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

It just limits ecmp gateways to two. Mikrotik does not limit amount of gateways.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:45 pm

So then the missing A on route 1 does not mean anything ?
> /ip route print
Flags: X - disabled, A - active, D - dynamic, C - connect, S - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, m - mme, B - blackhole, U - unreachable, P - prohibit 
 #      DST-ADDRESS        PREF-SRC        GATEWAY            DISTANCE
 0 ADb  0.0.0.0/0                          212.25.9.1               20
 1  Db  0.0.0.0/0                          212.25.9.2               20
If I make traceroutes from a public ip behind the mikrotik (no nat) to several locations, it always takes the path over route 0.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:35 am

And now there is silence ...
Are you now convinced that there should be a "maximum-path" feature like in cisco ios to accomplish this? Or am I just to boring to be eligible for a rely.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 pm

maybe, post at least your BGP config first?..

Crami
Topic Author

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 am

Shure, here ist the relevan config of the mikrotik router.
# feb/02/1970 15:21:57 by RouterOS 6.7
# software id = XHEM-GX3Y
#
/interface vlan
add comment="CES" interface=sfp1 l2mtu=4070 mtu=4000 name=sfp1-ces vlan-id=3214
/ip neighbor discovery
set sfp1-ces comment="CES"
/interface wireless security-profiles
/routing bgp instance
set default as=64512 router-id=z.y.x.w
add address=z.y.x.w/26 interface=sfp1-ces network=z.y.x.0
/routing bgp network
add network=a.b.c.d/27 synchronize=no
/routing bgp peer
add name=peerA remote-address=z.y.x.1 remote-as=8758 ttl=default update-source=sfp1-ces
add name=peerB remote-address=z.y.x.2 remote-as=8758 ttl=default update-source=sfp1-ces
peerA and peerB are Cisco Routers, which only announce a default route.
I'm happy for any inputs

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Ok, sorry for that. Yes you are right your intended setup is currently not possible on MikroTik routers. BGP will install only one gateway.

Crami
Topic Author

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks for your confirmation. At least I know now that I'm not doing something wrong. Are there plans to support this? Would be a very nice and appreciated feature.

ttanner
just joined

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am

I am really disappointed to see that this is not supported. We have 4 CCR1036-8G-2S+EMs in production that I need to do this to coming up.

What can we do to get this feature implemented? We have been migrating away from Cisco to Mikrotik, but missing features like this are really hurting us.

ada
just joined

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:03 pm

Please add suport for many (2-3) ways for gateway for BGP

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 am

very interested

MT guys ,, can you please update the post if you are going to add this feature or not ?

omago
just joined

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 pm

Any updates on this topic ?
Is BGP ECMP routing on Mikrotik's roadmap ?

Regards,

Jon

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Would like to know about this as well - Maybe this is a v7 feature?

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:42 pm

It would be really useful.

BGP multipathing can be used, for example, to turn a router into a load balancer for a cluster of servers (web, DNS, etc) and it's a technique used in many large installations.

This article describes it very well.
http://bits.shutterstock.com/2014/05/22 ... -software/

This depends on a multipath BGP implementation that can do a flow or hash based load balancing. In a configuration like this several servers would announce the same IP address via BGP and the routers would distribute connections among them. Flow based balancing (or some kind of IP address hashing) is needed so that all the packets belonging to a TCP connection are sent to the same servers.

This technique is very cheap to implement (unless you have to use expensive routers for it) and in my opinion it's much more reliable and scalable than the typical load balancer "magic boxes".

So, do it, please!

C3H5N3O9
just joined

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:31 am

Regards,

chubbs596
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I would guess that it is all in the RouterOS v7 super duper routing code!

Crami
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 pm

More than four (4) years since my initial post, and still there is no proper ECMP support ...

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 am

More than four (4) years since my initial post, and still there is no proper ECMP support ...

Welcome to Mikrotik... I guess they should remove the "Router" from "RouterOS", as it seems there had been no progress on the routing engine for years now. Instead hundreds of fixes for the wifi and access point stuff are appearing in every new ROS release. Mikrotik nowadays is a great access point and WISP supplier, but not a company I'd buy another edge/core router or switch from. Seems their focus and market orientation has changed after releasing the CCR-series. Sad story, as there would have been potential.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

I've been wanting to see this as well, but i'd rather have recursive routing in IPv6 for BGP fixed first. :-)

artferrr
just joined

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:16 am

I've been wanting to see this as well, but i'd rather have recursive routing in IPv6 for BGP fixed first. :-)

maybe in ROS7 years after 10 I’m very impressed with the support of mikrotik for 2019, it is planned to fully transfer the kernel to devices from other manufacturers.

heribertos
just joined

Thu May 02, 2019 2:04 pm

I solved this for me with Routing Filters under Set Next-Hop-in with multiple Gateway-Addresses. This works for me even for BGP.

Please observe, that in CISCO the max-path n does 2 things: (1) Installation of best path and (n-1) looser pathes (2) Forming an ECMP Route from the multiple routes to the same destination prefix. The first part is not needed in MikroTik, because MikroTik installs always all BGP Routes in the Routing Table, of couse not neccessarily activ. Only the second part is required and could be done manually, by routing filters or by scripts.

Second thing to observe is, you will get never ever on any router 2 routes active pointing to the same destination prefix.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Second thing to observe is, you will get never ever on any router 2 routes active pointing to the same destination prefix.
But that is the idea of ECMP.... have 2 or more routes for the same prefix pointing to a different path, and the router has some mechanism to use them alternately for outgoing traffic.

heribertos
just joined

Thu May 02, 2019 5:17 pm

Sorry, for my confusing wording. I think we mean the same.

ECMP Route is for me 1 route with multiple gateways, it appears as 1 destination prefix in the table. Of course, that are 2 or more routes , but considered as 1 with respect to administrative distance.

With 2 active routes I ment 2 seperate entries in the table, and each one is marked as active, as the OP in his last post was asking, why 1 default route route is active and the second is not..
My comment is, that the second will never get active.

No issue. We mean the same.

Regards

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Came to that point today and i am disappointed that mikrotik developers are not able to give us some information if that feature is on a todo list or not.

troybowman
just joined

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 am

Please add my +1 vote for ECMP, too.

Railander
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

as a workaround, ECMP works perfectly with OSPF instead of BGP, assuming your setup allows for it.
alternatively, the tip provided by heribertos using routing filters forcing the "Next-Hop-in" to your desired multipath gateways might work, though you'll lose the fully dynamic aspect of BGP by essentially enforcing static ECMP routes.

with that said, i'd really like to have ECMP supported in MPLS LDP. it's really weird that it works fine with OSPF but when you run LDP on top of it it just picks whatever gateway is listed first on the route, this is terrible for load-balancing VPLS.

ploquets
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:36 pm

I solved this for me with Routing Filters under Set Next-Hop-in with multiple Gateway-Addresses. This works for me even for BGP.

Thanks for this, I could workaround this issue and now working!

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:50 pm

How have i to setup "Set In Nexthop" on Actions-Tab as @heribertos suggested?
What value have to be in there?

peterh
just joined

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:42 am

with that said, i'd really like to have ECMP supported in MPLS LDP. it's really weird that it works fine with OSPF but when you run LDP on top of it it just picks whatever gateway is listed first on the route, this is terrible for load-balancing VPLS.
It is even worse. RouterOS "BGP" (I am using quotes because it is not RFC 4271 compliant) picks not just the first gateway for equal cost routes, but even for UNEQUAL cost routes, since it does not care whatsoever for IGP costs to reach the BGP next hop gateway. This not only violates RFC 4271 but essentially also means that RouterOS routes packets in an BGP or MPLS cloud essentially in a random fashion. Yes, packets reach the target, but to go from New York to Boston, RouterOS first sends you first to Los Angeles, then Seattle, detour through Chicago, and then to Boston, since its "BGP" has no understanding of the IGP topology in an AS.

With any other BGP implementation on the market (even free Open Source solutions), you get true recursive lookups of the BGP next hops within the IGP routing table including their costs, as it is described in RFC 4271. And yes, with most you even get ECMP.

Crami
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 am

You are absolutely right. That's why I do not use mikrotik for larger scale BGP deployments. They should use something prooven as routing suite, like frr or bird underneath.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:40 pm

It is even worse. RouterOS "BGP" (I am using quotes because it is not RFC 4271 compliant) picks not just the first gateway for equal cost routes, but even for UNEQUAL cost routes, since it does not care whatsoever for IGP costs to reach the BGP next hop gateway. This not only violates RFC 4271 but essentially also means that RouterOS routes packets in an BGP or MPLS cloud essentially in a random fashion. Yes, packets reach the target, but to go from New York to Boston, RouterOS first sends you first to Los Angeles, then Seattle, detour through Chicago, and then to Boston, since its "BGP" has no understanding of the IGP topology in an AS.
That became clear to me pretty quickly when I started using RouterOS BGP, and I quickly decided to use a different AS number for every site.
(of course such decisions are only possible in a closed network not BGP-connected to internet)

peterh
just joined

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:44 pm

The sad thing about this is that since the last 10 years, we see a creeping trend for "BGP everywhere". It is no longer just a WAN protocol for nation-wide ISPs and occasional Internet Exchange peerings, it first creeped into LANs and campus networks through MPLS and now we see whole data centre networks being constructed purely on BGP (i.e. RFC7938). That way you can scrap the underlying OSPF/ISIS completely and run on one protocol - BGP everywhere - from your spine to your leaf switches to your Internet peerings. MikroTik has catapulted itself out of that race with its current implementation. BGP ECMP is an absolute must in the year 2020 (actually it already was in 2010).

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Similar to what that RFC proposes, I quickly switched to EBGP-only to avoid a lot of strange routing issues that I encountered at first when I had used the same AS for a couple of sites in the same region so there was a mix of IBGP/EBGP.
I now use IBGP only between routers at the same site that are directly linked.
Of course still no ECMP but at least no unpredictable routing.

jr0dd
just joined

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:16 pm

@normis Is there any hope on ever getting ECMP implemented for BGP?! Considering it's the standard it should already be in ros.

ugh i guess there is no way to tag people on this forum

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:36 pm

It's on the roadmap for protocol support in the v7 status page

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... col+Status

jr0dd
just joined

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks. Not very hopeful on it being any time soon since v7 has been in the works for years now :'(

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:26 pm

It's on the roadmap for protocol support in the v7 status page
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... col+Status
I just need OSPF route conversion from v6 and then I'm golden.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:36 am

Thanks. Not very hopeful on it being any time soon since v7 has been in the works for years now :'(
Mikrotik spent years putting the groundwork in place, building the framework for the new routing engine to ensure it would scale and be easy to maintain. They also hired a bunch more developers.

You might be surprised at how quickly features are added from this point forward...

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:09 am

Mikrotik spent years putting the groundwork in place, building the framework for the new routing engine to ensure it would scale and be easy to maintain. They also hired a bunch more developers.

You might be surprised at how quickly features are added from this point forward...
Its a big software dev problem I come across it all the time - 80% of the work is background "do-nothing" code (to a customer perspective) so the 20% of the frontend is super quick, zippy, easy to add and remove things, make it modular etc. Once you get over that hump it becomes so much quicker.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:13 am

@mrz

coming back to your first post

has anything changed since then?
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:B ... interfaces

I'm playing with multihop=yes and the target-scope that im receiving is 30 by default without any filter rule.

jr0dd
just joined

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:21 am

Well that would be real nice if this could move to a stable release real soon. ROS has just felt stagnant for the last couple years. Hardware moving forward while the os at stand still.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:46 am

Well that would be real nice if this could move to a stable release real soon. ROS has just felt stagnant for the last couple years. Hardware moving forward while the os at stand still.
You must not have been paying much attention!

RouterOS v6 has seen an immense number of new features and bugfixes in the last 2 years. And on top of that RouterOS v7 has entered beta with an entirely new "ground up" routing stack, Wireguard support, Multi-Chassis LAG and other long-requested features.

tstivers
just joined

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:24 am

In fairness, their routers are dirt cheap even by consumer router standards and offer massive value *even without* BGP ECMP. I'd like to see it, too. But their devices aren't exactly priced to support a rapid pace of development while remaining stable, either.

eguzman
just joined

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:25 pm

Well, is August 2021, still not. I found your post trying to solve the exactly same issue :(

tuxtof
just joined

Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:09 am

same for me please

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:38 pm

7.2rc3 is out now - and no ECMP implementation so far.

eguzman
just joined

Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:50 am

7.11.2 out, september 2023, still no ecmp support :(

RcRaCk2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:04 pm

7.13 Stable out now, NO ECMP Support