MikroTik App

hengst
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Bridged (rstp) + OSPF (nbma) possible ?

Wed May 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Situation :

network with arround a 100 Mikrotik devices, all in one bridged ( rstp ) network.

now its getting bigger we switch to routed network and the choice is OSPF,
with Mpls/Vpls tunnels from core router to customer sector bridge ( horizon enabled on vpls bridge ports ).

for service purpose we would like to keep the bridges , and on top of that OSPF

now if we put in all the ip's on interfaces and other stuff for OSPF it looks like its up and running, but it causes strange errors routeflapping in ospf network.
now with a fresh look at the "interfaces" under routing/ospf/interfaces i see dynamic interfaces all named "bridge1" , i suppose this should be eth1,eth2,wds1 for expample for every path/network OSPF could take.

now, i didnt read the whole Cisco bookshelf , in the early days i had my dad to ask such questions , and nowdays i have google to help me with such question.

now here is the problem : cant find information with google about ospf+bridged, possible ?

from seen and heard i believe there are people here that know A LOT ! and make it clear If its possible and by that making it known worldwide if someone google it in the future.

Thanks, Henk.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridged (rstp) + OSPF (nbma) possible ?

Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Dynamic interfaces occur when you have an interface with IP(s) in the networks you have declared for OSPF but the interface has not been configured manually.

Your current topology isn't 100% clear from the description. OSPF flapping can be caused by a number of issues. e.g. if you have a topology which is largely point to point you may want to avoid network types which involve DR/BDR election.

Perhaps a diagram would help.

onnoossendrijver

Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Unless there is a reason for a large layer 2 network PLEASE consider making all connections between routers layer 3 / point-to-point.
Also add a bridge interface with IP address to the OSPF process and use it as router ID.
This will make a MUCH more stable network.
If you need layer 2 services over you network you can consider MPLS, VPLS or EoIP.

hengst
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu May 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks guys,

We DO have set Loopback bridge/ip and using nbma, and doing Mpls/Vpls to customer sectors.

will consider point to point (on backhaul links only ? ) because of DR/BDR election. thanks for pointing that out.

The question was : is it possible to have OSPF network on a (rstp)bridged network ?

think you guys did make it clear. its a NO GO.

Thanks.