MikroTik App

Abdock
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IP address on ospf link

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Hello,

I am setting up an OSPF, and in between a link i have a wireless link which i want to be able to access.

R1 ---- W1-----W2 -----R2

How can i set the IP so when the link fails, i can still access the radios for management from each side.

Many thanks,

onnoossendrijver

Re: IP address on ospf link

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Not only add an IP address to the interface, but also add a bridge interface to OSPF (for loopback, without physical interfaces added) and give that bridge an IP address.

Abdock
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I have set up the OSPF running, the issue is wireless radios in between links, if the radio fail, i cannot access the radio for check up as the gateway ip is on the other side, and if the radio is ok and just the mikrotik failed. How do you set the radio in between IP address ? the ospf interfaces have a /30 so they talk ok with each other.

onnoossendrijver

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Use the IP addresses on the loopback/bridge interfaces to access the router. This IP address will not go down if the physical interface goes down.

Maybe I don't understand your question..

Abdock
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Sorry for that, i don't seem to be clear enough.

I already have ospf running between routers, the problem is how to access the wireless links in between the point to point links.

Example, Router1 ----Wireless Bridge ============ Wireless Bridge ------ Router2

I can access routers 1 and 2 no problems, when the link between these router fail, but the wireless radios are lost, as currently I have /29 where the gateway IP is on Router1, my side, but when Router1 failes, i can reach router2 via other routers, but the wireless link bridge cannot be accessed as the gateway for the radio is down.

Using each Router as Gateway on each side, works but if the mikrotik fails on other side, my other wireless also is lost !

Thanks,

onnoossendrijver

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I think I understand now..
Can't you just let the wireless 'bridges' also route? Enable OSPF on them, that way OSPF will allways make sure there is a working path (if possible).