Community discussions

MikroTik App

spekit
just joined
Topic Author

Passing OSPF messages through an IPSec Tunnel using GRE

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Good Day,

I am trying to pass OSPF multicast messages over an IPsec tunnel on OS 6.15 (between two Mikritik routers) and I have been unable to get any of the OSPF message to go through. I have successfully setup my IPsec tunnel with NAT bypass and I can see traffic going through it appropriately. I have setup my GRE tunnel but I cannot figure out how to configure the IPsec tunnel to accept traffic from my GRE interface. From what I can tell and using wireshark it seems to be the issue.

I am successfully able to pass OSPF messages over the GRE link but when I configure the traffic to go through the IPsec tunnel my adjacency drops. I am using IPsec tunnel mode to encrypt the entire payload. I am learning how to use a Mikrotik router but I have done this type of thing before on a Cisco platform.

Right now I am using a test bed to do this using VM ware and the downloadable OS image. I am hoping someone can point me to some documentation to help with this because so far I have not found anything and getting frustrated.

Spekit

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Passing OSPF messages through an IPSec Tunnel using GRE

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:34 am

if both ospf neighbors are Mikrotik routers, then instead of gre you can set up EoIP.

spekit
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:45 pm

And then encrypt the EoIP traffic with IPsec?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 am

You may find it easier to set the network type as point-to-point and set the neighbors statically under NBMA neighbors.