Community discussions

SimonK
Topic Author

OSPF Routing with Multiple Areas

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 am

Hi Everyone,
i need some help routing OSPF between many routers. i would like to have them bundle in different areas, but im having trouble making it work.
could someone plz help me design the OSPF areas. So i might have 5 routers in one area and then connected with backbone.

i have attached a nework diagram of the router. So i hope you guys might have the answer for making this work properly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPF Routing with Multiple Areas

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Everyone,
i need some help routing OSPF between many routers. i would like to have them bundle in different areas, but im having trouble making it work.
could someone plz help me design the OSPF areas. So i might have 5 routers in one area and then connected with backbone.

i have attached a nework diagram of the router. So i hope you guys might have the answer for making this work properly
Bundle the routers in the center - core of your topology in the backbone area. Than use other OSPF areas as branches. If you can, take advantage of all additional OSPF area types - it will make the routing more streamlined and robust. Given the topology though - it's kind of hard to give you a particular advice....

SimonK
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:32 pm

hi,
well i got area1 (containing 5 router) this area connected with a Backbone area to area 2 (containing 6 routers) and so on.

but do i need to make a virtuel link or something from router1(area1) to router5(area1) to connect the backbone through area1

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 pm

If all areas are connected to the Backbone area, you do not need virtual links.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Try to be wary of jumping into virtual links early on - that may be a sign that the initial breakdown into areas is suspect. To design OSPF areas it is necessary to consider the dynamics of the network/IP addressing in addition to the basic router topology. e.g. is a particular router to be considered part of the backbone or is it primarily providing PPPoE access to clients where the local connects/disconnects of PPPoE clients may not be something that the backbone needs to be too concerned with.
Interlynx | Networking and Information Security Consultants & Trainers | Email: routerlynx@gmail.com
BGP | EIGRP | OSPF | MPLS | Firewall | VPN | IPsec | Multicast | QOS | IPv4/6 | STP | VLAN | PON | AE | M2M | and more!