Community discussions

MikroTik App

sporkman
Topic Author

Pinning a route to an openvpn endpoint?

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25 pm

I can't quite figure out how to deal with this. I need to point a route back to the far end of an OpenVPN client.

I originally just manually added a route and selected the gateway from the dropdown. However I saw today that rancid sent me a config diff from one of my mikrotik routers that showed the route was pointing to "unknown" rather than the ovpn interface:
- add comment="push aws-connected ovpn client traffic back to aws" distance=1 dst-address=10.100.0.0/24 gateway=<ovpn-awstunnel>
+ add comment="push aws-connected ovpn client traffic back to aws" distance=1 dst-address=10.100.0.0/24 gateway=(unknown)
When I logged-in to fix this, I saw that the ovpn connection must have dropped and reconnected and my old gateway, "ovpn-awstunnel" was gone, but a new one, "ovpn-awstunnel-1" was now present. Manually selecting the gateway from IP->Routes->edit made everything right again, but it appears this interface does not persist.

How do I work around this? The tunnel had been up for months, but I'm sure at some point it will drop and I'd rather not have to manually alter the route.

bds1904
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Pinning a route to an openvpn endpoint?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Create a ovpn server binding for the associated user. That will make it so the name never changes even if there is a short drop.

sporkman
Topic Author

Re: Pinning a route to an openvpn endpoint?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm resurrecting my old thread as the "create server binding for a user" does not seem to work. Each time the VPN connection drops, I have to ssh in to the box from somewhere allowed and then manually re-point the static route to the OpenVPN interface.

I do have the user for this incoming client bound to the OpenVPN server interface:
#
/interface ovpn-server
add name=ovpn-tunnel-aws user=awstunnel
/interface ovpn-server server
set certificate=cert_2 default-profile=openvpn-aws enabled=yes

#
/ppp profile
add local-address=ovpn name=openvpn-aws remote-address=ovpn
/ppp secret
add name=awstunnel password=PASS profile=openvpn-aws service=ovpn
What am I missing here?