Community discussions

MikroTik App

cgabriel
Topic Author

Help with VPN setup (PPTP, OVPN)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi,
I have just bought my first RB, after reading good reviews about routeros.

I am trying since several days to make it work the way I want (like here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Policy_Base_Routing), but I finally found that the vpn connections do not properly work.
Please note that I'm not a beginner, (that doesn't make me an expert either).
I have tried all standard solutions: openvpn (TCP), pptp, l2tp (using privateinternetaccess.com).
The RB is currently behind an AVM fritzbox modem/router, I have tried both router and bridge modes.

The openvpn connection is tested and it works from my PC and Linux Sat receiver, in the same network.
On the RB, I prepared everything and the connections (I tried one protocol after the other) are up and running.
However, no data is coming back! I see outgoing packets but nothing incoming. The connection is terminated after timeout and restarted.
I also tried using the traceroute/ping tools (to the remote party address), all packets timeout.

As the setup is (until now) quite standard, I'm out of ideas so I decided to ask for help
I am thankful for any idea / clarification.

Regards,
Gabriel

cgabriel
Topic Author

Re: Help with VPN setup (PPTP, OVPN)

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:01 pm

It took a while, but I think I solved it...
I first used connection markers (for convenience, to be able to see in the connection list) , then a last mangle rule which applied the routing marker for the connection marker.
It looks like this doesn't work, if I do NOT also select the input interface.
When I also selected the input interface, it started to work :) !

Is it supposed to work like this??
Now that I ask, I realize I have not found an explicit statement; are matching rules coupled with "and" or "or" semantic??
I suppose it's "and", but just in case...

PS.
I though I lost my first message, therefore I posted a 2nd which is similar but contains my next problem.

Regards,
Gabriel