MikroTik App

acontios
just joined
Topic Author

L2TP bug ?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:23 am

Hi,

Here is my setup:

I have an user, who has subscribed to residential FTTH (Orange France), and using the ISP's home router (box).
That box uses PPPoE for its WAN internet access, and gives NAT to its LAN connection. Typical setup.
The public IP address is dynamic, and there is a forced reconnection after 7d (and the IP always changes).

On the LAN, there is a RB1100AHx2, which is configured to establish a L2TP session towards another Mikrotik, configured to be L2TP server. The purpose is to get more public IPs on the LAN.

In that case, we have setup the RB1100 to:

- Have an IP address on the RFC1918 LAN
- Setup a default gw with a high distance over that LAN's gw
- Have a static route towards the /32 it connects to, in order to have L2TP services

Here is an extract of the config:
/interface l2tp-client
add add-default-route=yes connect-to=193.17.x.y disabled=no \
    keepalive-timeout=disabled name=l2tp-client password=xxxxx \
    user=nnn@xxx.xxx

/ip route
(...)
add distance=1 dst-address=193.17.x.y/32 gateway=192.168.14.1

Everything works fine, except than sometimes, when the ISP reconnects after 7d, the L2TP does not re establish automatically. If I disable/enable the L2TP interface: no luck. If I reboot the RB1100: Maybe it reconnects. If I reboot the ISP's FTTH Box: No luck. But, If I disable/enable the static route towards the L2TP endpoint (or remove/recreate it), everything works fine again.

Every RouterOS involved is 6.27 (on both sides of the L2TP). And the L2TP server is serving others users with no problems (but with not the same setup at each time).

Could it be a bug ? Any suggestions to help resolving that problem ?

Note: I tried to replace L2TP service with PPTP, but the performance is decreasing so dramtically that it is not usable (FTTH is 1Gbps, and L2TP runs at +/- 800Mbps, where PPTP runs at +/- 100/120 Mbps)

Thank you for any help !

Regards,

Acontios
http://www.hivane.net

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: L2TP bug ?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm

We had the same problems, L2TP and Orange are not friends. with L2TP tunnels working .. sometimes.
We ended up with PPTP tunnels instead, much more stable.

acontios
just joined
Topic Author

Re: L2TP bug ?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:19 pm

We had the same problems, L2TP and Orange are not friends.
Yeah, it's Orange France... :-)

Thanks for the feedback ! But seems that Orange's setup triggers something on MT's code ?
Did you try without Orange's CPE ? (I didnt)
We ended up with PPTP tunnels instead, much more stable.
... but much more slow :(