Community discussions

MikroTik App

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Bonding Two ADSL Lines over VPN

Tue May 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi.

I recently got a Second ADSL Line becaus the Upload of the First one was almost unuseable.
Now i got myself a RB750UP for the Bonding after screwing Around with OpenWRT for almost a week.

Now i just need help with the Configuration. Maybe someone knows a Tutorial Somewhere.

This is what I want to do:
I wish to Bond the two ADSL Lines with a VPN Connection to my Root Server. A Simple Load Balancing wont do it because i need a Single IP for my Applications. I know it is Possible as there are Products out there wich can do this. viprinet as a example.

Here is a rough plan of how it should look:
Plan.PNG
Sorry for my extremly bad English. I would be very grateful for every help i could get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaykay2342

Re: Bonding Two ADSL Lines over VPN

Thu May 14, 2015 4:47 pm

A Simple Load Balancing wont do it because i need a Single IP for my Applications.
Can you be a bit more specific what exactly you're trying to achieve? What kind of Traffic/Applications?

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2015 9:30 am

http://simonmott.co.uk/vpn-bonding

Something like this.

A Load Balancing where Traffic is balanced between two Public IPs isnt much use for me becaus I need the Upload for Streaming and Remote Control via Teamviewer and Remote Desktop.

I also noticed that uploading my Game Project to Git with Load Balancing only uses one Line. So the Second line is pretty Useless for my.

So i have to VPN Bond them.

jaykay2342

Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 am

It looks like your are looking for bonding with a per packet loadblancing. As you would have a lot of packets which arrive out of order it would be bad for the TCP performance.

I suggest to use VPN tunnels as you mentioned. On top of that you can do a ECMP routing or policy based routing.

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm

from your diagram, if it's just for IP traffic, you would be able to acheive this by:

1. ipsec transport on each connection to the server peer
2. eoip tunnel on connection, accross each ipsec sa
3. create bonding interface with the eoip tunnels as members

This should get you the result with a bit of bandwidth sacrificed from eoip

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Okay.

The Current Setup looks Like this.

The WAN1 and WAN2 (wich are the DSL Connections) are bonded to "WAN" with "balance-rr"
I set up two L2TP Connections from the Router to the Server. Named:
"VPN1" (Router IP: 10.0.0.2 / Server IP: 10.0.0.1)
"VPN2" (Router IP: 10.0.1.2 / Server IP: 10.0.1.1)

Over the two VPN Connections, I build the two EoIP Tunnels. "EoIP1" and "EoIP2"
I bond them togheter into "EoIPBond" with the IP 10.0.10.1 on the Router Side and 10.0.10.2 on the Server Side.

My only Problem now is the Routing. I have no clue where to route all this and how.

Thanks for the Help

rjickity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 18, 2015 1:54 am

Your bonding interface is treated as your wan now. You will need to use your server side router for egress. So you should set your default route with the server side IP as your gateway.

Make sure you don't have defaults on each connection, add in a specific route for each connection -> server so that they can still l2tp to it.

Is there a reason you used l2tp? You're encapsulating twice now which will be even more overhead

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 8:40 am

I cant use EoIP directly because my Two DSL Lines have Dynamic IPs with IP Changings every 24h.
Is there a way to use a DynDNS Adress? Maybe a Script wich updates the IP after a Reconnect?

jaykay2342

Mon May 18, 2015 9:36 am

I cant use EoIP directly because my Two DSL Lines have Dynamic IPs with IP Changings every 24h.
Is there a way to use a DynDNS Adress? Maybe a Script wich updates the IP after a Reconnect?
I use GRE with dynamic IPs by polling a php-script on one of my servers via fetch tool. This script updates the config via API if the IP has changed.

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 am

Wouldnt it be easier to resolve a dyndns Name on the Router itself and replace the IPs in the Config? The Routerboard has DNS configured.

Both of my ADSL Routers have a build in DynDNS Service. And the Server Endpoint wich runs the VM has a Static Web IP

jaykay2342

Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am

Wouldnt it be easier to resolve a dyndns Name on the Router itself and replace the IPs in the Config? The Routerboard has DNS configured.

Both of my ADSL Routers have a build in DynDNS Service. And the Server Endpoint wich runs the VM has a Static Web IP
Easier? i don't know, i think the effort you need to put in is the same. My experience with dyndns services is not only good, therefore i choose a solution which does not involve a service i don't control. anyway updating you tunnel config with a script or api is somehow a dirty hack. but it works.

NightStorm
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Well. Now i just have to figure out how to write or even start scripts.
Thanks for the help so far.