Community discussions

MikroTik App

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP IPv6 route reflection

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 pm

It is just me, or BGP route-reflection doesn't work with IPv6 ?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: BGP IPv6 route reflection

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:20 pm

We have it working in our service provider lab on 6.29.1 ... have you enabled the IPv6 address family on every peer as well as the route-reflection commands on the instance and peers?

Here is the config of an IPv6 RR from our lab:
/routing bgp instance
set default as=1 redistribute-connected=yes router-id=1.1.1.1
/routing bgp peer
add address-families=ip,ipv6 name=peer1 remote-address=2001:db8:100::2 \
    remote-as=1 route-reflect=yes ttl=default
add address-families=ip,ipv6 name=peer2 remote-address=2001:db8:200::2 \

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:43 am

We have it working in our service provider lab on 6.29.1 ... have you enabled the IPv6 address family on every peer as well as the route-reflection commands on the instance and peers?

Here is the config of an IPv6 RR from our lab:
/routing bgp instance
set default as=1 redistribute-connected=yes router-id=1.1.1.1
/routing bgp peer
add address-families=ip,ipv6 name=peer1 remote-address=2001:db8:100::2 \
add address-families=ip,ipv6 name=peer2 remote-address=2001:db8:200::2 \
Yes, the only difference is that I have separate peers for ipv4 and ipv6. I will check if it starts working by enabling also the ipv4 address family (which in my topology should not be enabled).

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:35 am

I did some experiments, but I didn't find a way to let it work. IPv4 runs smoothly as expected, IPv6 doesn't.

On the route-reflector:

/routing bgp peer
add address-families=ipv6 in-filter=ibgp-v6-frr-client instance=AS8224 name=\
v6-uni-mix-cr1 out-filter=ibgp-v6-frr-client remote-address=2a01:2d8::x:x \
remote-as=8224 route-reflect=yes tcp-md5-key=****** ttl=default \
update-source=2a01:2d8::x:x

On the route-reflector client:

/routing bgp peer
add address-families=ipv6 in-filter=ibgp-v6-frr-client instance=AS8224 name=\
v6-uni-frr1 out-filter=ibgp-v6-frr-client remote-address=2a01:2d8::x:x \
remote-as=8224 tcp-md5-key=****** ttl=default \
update-source=2a01:2d8::x:x

On the route-reflector there are 21K IPv6 routes and the client receives 0.

Routing filters are correct, even removing filters the results don't change.

Should I open a ticket?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:39 am

Two things.

Is route reflection enabled on the BGP instance?

What code are you trying this on?

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Is route reflection enabled on the BGP instance?
Yes, of course... indeed IPv4 route-reflection works normally.
What code are you trying this on?
I don't get the question, do you mean which routers/ROS version I am using? It's configured on various devices (RB1100, CCR, MIPSBE..) and it's like this since ever (all 6.x versions for sure). If you want to know something else, just ask.

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:10 pm

I just found a bug: in winbox the cluster-id is set to: 255.2.2.4, but export (both compact and verbose) don't recognize it.
> /routing bgp instance export         
/routing bgp instance
set default disabled=yes
add as=8224 name=AS8224 router-id=x.x.x.x
Using /routing bgp instance export verbose shows !cluster-id

while after setting it through the cli using /routing bgp instance set AS8224 cluster-id=255.2.2.4 export shows the correct configuration:
> /routing bgp instance export 
/routing bgp instance
set default disabled=yes
add as=8224 cluster-id=255.2.2.4 name=AS8224 router-id=x.x.x.x
Anyway this doesn't solve the issue, I still don't receive any IPv6 reflected route.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Assuming the cluster-id bug is not contributing to this, the main difference between our setups seems to be the code version.

There have been a number of IPv6 improvements / bug fixes throughout the 6.x series and it would be helpful to do one of two things.

1) Upgrade at a minimum, a RR and two RR clients to the same 6.x code
2) Replicate the config in GNS3 / VirtualBox and migrate the config onto router with the same 6.x code

hknet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 am

We'd a similar issue, as we were running two RRs we could easily show to MT it doesn't work as expected.
They told us we should wait for ROS v7 as this is the only way they would fix this issue.
ergo do not try to use MT as RR for IPv6 running ROS v6.xx

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 pm

I wonder if this is a result of the recursive-nexthop issue in IPv6 iBGP for ROS.

It's been a while since I was messing around with it, but I seemed to find an issue with it when using link-local addressing at an eBGP peering point.

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:45 pm

I wonder if this is a result of the recursive-nexthop issue in IPv6 iBGP for ROS.

It's been a while since I was messing around with it, but I seemed to find an issue with it when using link-local addressing at an eBGP peering point.
I think it's unrelated to recursive-nextop. In this case the routes are not even distributed to iBGP peers.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:05 pm

They told us we should wait for ROS v7 as this is the only way they would fix this issue.
Do they (MikroTik) actually tell clients to wait for ROS v7???
I hope it means they have intentions that nobody yet knows about.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:00 pm

They definitely say this - and it's definitely stated in regards to routing protocol functionality.
They're apparently doing an overhaul of the routing code in ROS, and I'm not sure what sorts of things are limitations based on the current code base, so I just have to have faith that this is truly a position based on avoiding duplication of effort. That having been said, it sure would be nice to have some sort of reassurance that v7 is going to reach beta stage soon.

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 pm

It's not because we are fanatic to test ROS 7, it's because it is more than 2 years that we are waiting for IPv6 features like recursive lookup, route reflection and other things that currently don't work on ROS 6. Our V6 network is actually someway crippled....

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 am

It's not because we are fanatic to test ROS 7, it's because it is more than 2 years that we are waiting for IPv6 features like recursive lookup, route reflection and other things that currently don't work on ROS 6. Our V6 network is actually someway crippled....
Agree 100%.
There are several broken things in ROS implementation of both OSPF and BGP which are subtle, but really hinder one from easily deploying a well-designed network using ROS as the backbone.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 am

There are several broken things in ROS implementation of both OSPF and BGP which are subtle, but really hinder one from easily deploying a well-designed network using ROS as the backbone.
There are several not so subtle things broken too.

E.g.  
- BFD
- L3VPN + PE-CE BGP NLRI updates (NLRI updates do NOT occur when the best path changes)
- IPV6  recursive next-hop lookup
- VRF + BGP Passive Peers
- Advertised Routes for BGP peers in a VRF
- BGP often stops retrying connection attempts
- SNMP queries can cause routing process to crash

v7 is long overdue.

hknet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:03 am

E.g.  
- BFD
- L3VPN + PE-CE BGP NLRI updates (NLRI updates do NOT occur when the best path changes)

v7 is long overdue.
I second that.
On the other hand: which other supplier gives away free updates for their $x-OS so I'd be happy to see things fixed,but I understand MT is still a hardware based business and we get updates and bugfixes without ever paying a monthly/yearly fee, so I'm patiently waiting for ROSv7 to come up.
Then again, for timely updates to core systems I'd be willing to pay some (moderate) fee if development would be advanced by those payments.
Kindest regards,
hk

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 pm

for timely updates to core systems I'd be willing to pay some (moderate) fee if development would be advanced by those payments.
As would we..

Talking to other users at MUM events in USA, Australia and New Zealand it was widely discussed that users would be happy to pay recurring support fees to Mikrotik for priority support and bug fixes.

Maybe one day.. :)

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

I am really torn on this issue:

1) On the one hand, we are patiently waiting like everyone else for v7 to fix a number of issues and introduce features and would love a paid support "fast path"

2) But on the other hand, MiktoTik has become the company we all go to for cost effective hardware because they don't have the massive OPEX for Sales/Support that Cisco, Juniper and others have.

I want to see support continue to get better but I don't want the price of the box to go up to offset the increased support cost. It seems unlikely that priority support can be entirely funded by a nominal support fee. The support fee will either have to be steep, or the company has to bake part of that cost into the product.

It's a slippery slope :-(

hknet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:39 pm

It is indeed a slippery slope.

What if MikroTik took us to the test and started some outside funding project on kickstarter (or whatever crowdfinance portal) in order to get major development done?

This way we could (hopfeully) keep our beloved MikroTik HW+SW, but we could help advance their efforts to build a better RouterOS.

Anyone from MT reading this?

Regards,
hk

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:45 pm

IPv6 route reflection still doesn't work and it's causing a lot of troubles in our network. Is it really the only option to wait for ROS v7?

faisali
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 am

I will be more than happy to compare notes.. since I just had to do this and have it working on our MT Routers.. Two Edges, doing RR to each other....
Had to use Ipv6 prefix between the connections (no link state). Additionally on a 3rd router, I had to put static route to 2nd Edge router to get around the recursive ip bug.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:54 pm

It is indeed a slippery slope.

What if MikroTik took us to the test and started some outside funding project on kickstarter (or whatever crowdfinance portal) in order to get major development done?

This way we could (hopfeully) keep our beloved MikroTik HW+SW, but we could help advance their efforts to build a better RouterOS.

Anyone from MT reading this?

Regards,
hk

Totally agree with you Harald. Another option for MT to consider would be to move in a completely new direction by generally opening up their hardware platform for Linux and thus also for open-source routing suites like https://frrouting.org/.
Last edited by schadom on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbs2web
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

We got something similar to Cisco 6PE working by using route reflectors to distribute IPv6 prefixes between PE (provider edge) routers. Prefixes are originated in to iBGP using the PE router's IPv6 loopback IP and the same IP is assigned to a BGP signalled VPLS bridge interface with a /64 subnet mask. Each router can subsequently find next hop via MPLS switched path.

No IPv6, OSPFv3, BGP nor per-hop-routing lookups on P routers. This way we only have to manage infrastructure using IPv4, OSPF and Traffic Engineering (where needed) and both IPv4 and IPv6 follow the same MPLS path.

Full lab setup detailed here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42268&start=58#p688490

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 pm

IPv6 route reflection still doesn't work and it's causing a lot of troubles in our network. Is it really the only option to wait for ROS v7?
Route reflection works fine here with v4 and v6 -- we also have separate peers for v4 and v6 with route reflection in at least one case, and it works.

However, I discovered something recently and I don't know if it is normal behavior or a special MikroTik behavior, but it may explain your issue. In our case the v6 route reflection was working but v4 seemingly was not. Then I noticed that there was one v4 route getting reflected properly, and that one was the only route not in OSPF.

Based on that, it seems that if the BGP route is inactive on the route reflector itself (due for instance to an OSPF route or static route with shorter distance), the route does not get reflected. The BGP route seems to have to be active on the route reflector to be reflected to the other routers. It could be that all of your v6 routes are available in your reflector either as static routes or OSPFv3 routes with a shorter metric, and therefore the BGP routes are inactive, preventing them from being reflected.

plankanater
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:02 pm

I am having this issue with IPv4. Because OSPF overrides the BGP routes (making them not active) the router will not reflect the BGP routes.

How do i fix this? Is it a v7 thing? I have Client to Client Reflection turned on, I have tried enabling "Redistribute other BGP" nothing seems to make it work besides "Redistribute OSPF" but that doesn't seem right.

bdallen
just joined

Thu May 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Oddly enough, i'm running Mikrotik Core and Edge with JunOS vRR Route Reflectors and the issue with NextHOP Lookup is resolved for ipv6.

mutinsa
just joined

Sat May 18, 2019 5:28 pm

+1

E.g.  
- BFD

v7 is long overdue.