Community discussions

MikroTik App

ppoudrier
just joined
Topic Author

Newly bought license doesn't apply on CHR

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Hello, i recently bought a P1 license for a CHR router that I am running.
On the website I can confirm that I have a perpetual license : SYSTEM_ID 2016-09-07 --- P1-Perpetual
When I go on the router, I did a system license renew with the right username/password where I bought the license. Everything goes fine but the perpetual license doesn't apply...

Here is the result of system license print :
system-id: obfuscated_id
level: p1
next-renewal-at: oct/08/2016 21:59:59
deadline-at: nov/07/2016 21:59:59

CHR run on a freeBSD host using VirtualBox. Everything is working fine except this.

EDIT :
I tried to generate a new systemid and transfer the license to it and it always stay on trial.
I tried to apply the license using the ssh CLI and winbox and same result.

Is there something I am missing ?

Thank you

Kindis

Re: Newly bought license doesn't apply on CHR

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:20 pm

You need to login to the account portal (https://www.mikrotik.com/client/) and go to CHR section and apply the license to the CHR. This has to be done after you logged in on the CHR itself. When you do that on the CHR it will get a trial license and it will appear in the portal. When you see the CHR in the portal you can apply the license. Did this about a week ago to mine.
Also note that there will always be a next-renewal-at as it needs to verify its license.

ppoudrier
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you for your reply Kindis,
this is exactly what I did, on the portal, I see that the license is linked to the right systemid but on the CHR, it appear to have a deadline within 2 month from the installation date. I expected to see no deadline but maybe I was wrong. I will wait at the next renewal to see if the dates change accordingly.

Thank you

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:51 pm

From manual:
In '/system license' menu router will indicate the time next-renewal-at when it will attempt to contact server located on licence.mikrotik.com. Communication attempts will be performed once an hour after the date on next-renewal-at and will not cease until the server responds with an error. If deadline-at date is reached without successfully contacting the account server, the router will consider that license has expired and will disallow further software updates. However, router will continue to work with the same license tier as before.
In other words, it makes sure that you use one licence only for one VM. Well, not it exactly prevents you from doing that, but at least it would make using copies slightly uncomfortable by preventing upgrades.

jokew3
just joined

Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 pm

To anyone who has some issues related to Mikrotik licenses I would suggest they follow the steps listed in this guide: https://www.bgocloud.com/knowledgebase/ ... cense.html