Community discussions

MikroTik App

Modu
just joined
Topic Author

CHR on bare metal

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi!

Since this is related to a product that is meant to be run on a virtualized platform, the topic shall lay here.

What issues are there going to be if I run a CHR instance on bare metal? I have an P1 license but only a bad hardware that performs suprisingly bad when virtualized. I'm running 2 core i3 processor which doesn't even support VT-d, so I couldn't passthrough NIC's. That's where the problem is: when using vSwitches, my network performance is so bad and is peaking CPU, yes, the driver is peaking it, not CHR!

So, do you allow me to copy the image to a hard drive and run it straight?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CHR on bare metal

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:14 am

The main issue is that it's not meant to be run on bare metal. I didn't try it myself, but it looks like it will refuse to run. If you want RouterOS on bare metal, you need regular x86 one.

mpreissner

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 pm

The CHR doesn't have all the drivers it would need to run on bare metal. It is intended to ONLY run in a hypervisor as a guest virtual machine. If your intent was to run virtual machines, you should've picked up hardware that has native support for virtualization. Even cheap $200 barebones systems now support virtualization, so you should be able to pick up some reasonably-performing hardware pretty cheap.

Modu
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:20 pm

Well this is ridiculous then, the x86 licensing sucks ass and the CHR seemed to be better option with it's flexible licensing scheme. Maybe i'll switch vendor alltogether, too much pain in the ass with Mikrotik's bureaucracy.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 pm

Then keep us informed what better option you have chosen instead of ros.
What is wrong with running chr in hypervisor?

mpreissner

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Oh, he's just upset because he didn't take the time to understand that CHR is virtual ONLY and didn't get appropriate hardware to support it. And apparently it's OUR problem. HAHAHA

paulct

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:20 am

Look he has a point, it would be awsome to run Mikrotik ROS on supported bare metal hardware for a once off or yearly fee. E.g hardware that is basically merchant silicon, or based on the facebook wedge etc. It would be nice for people that want a GUI, do not need SDN support and where Cumulus is too expensive. It would also mean Mikrotik would not need to manufacture "high end" hardware.

mpreissner

Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Hmm...it seems to me that you can do exactly what you're saying. Just buy an ROS license (most people would probably do well with a level 4 license - $45) and install using x86. You just have to remember that even the x86 platform doesn't support all hardware, so you'll need the check for compatibility. The only downside is that there is no bare metal 64-bit ROS, but few people ever need more than 2GB of RAM, so x86 should be fine for most users.

Modu
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:28 pm

Yeah, x86 rOS would be perfect if it wouldn't cripple itself so easily. In that sense CHR licensing is what I need for x86.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:58 pm

I am running both x86 and CHR. Nothing is crippling itself. If you have such problems, report the error to support.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm

How is the CHR license better than X86? The benefit works for virtual systems as you can move the license around. In X86 you can already move the HDD around, so there is no difference.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:09 pm

The license is not better. It is different. And you can move the license between the chr instances as you wish. You will not loose it by hardware damage like in case of x86.

mpreissner

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 pm

A single licensing scheme would be nice. Something to the effect of this: You purchase X number of licenses, which are tracked through a support portal. When you install an instance of ROS (virtual or bare metal), you input a key obtained from the support portal that is linked to your account. The router then contacts the licensing server and provides the key to check for available licenses. Assuming you haven't already used all your purchased licenses, the router retrieves a license and registers its hardware ID in the portal so you can track which devices you've licensed.

Just a thought...

karlisi

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:11 pm

A single licensing scheme would be nice. Something to the effect of this: You purchase X number of licenses, which are tracked through a support portal. When you install an instance of ROS (virtual or bare metal), you input a key obtained from the support portal that is linked to your account. The router then contacts the licensing server and provides the key to check for available licenses. Assuming you haven't already used all your purchased licenses, the router retrieves a license and registers its hardware ID in the portal so you can track which devices you've licensed.
+1